Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU useage by Microsoft Windows Based Script Host

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Taffy_078

Taffy_078

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

A CPU issue has just come to light*** on my Win7 / IE11 Compaq Presario laptop. Up to 60% of CPU is being used by the above although the current CPU use is lower:

32% wscript.exe *32     [137,264K]     Microsoft ® Windows Based Script Host

8% SearchFilterHost.exe     [5,424K]    Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host

4% SearchProtocolHost.exe     [3,584K]    Microsoft Windows Search Protocol Host

3% SearchIndexerHost.exe     [35,300K]   Microsoft Windows Search Indexer

An initial search of the web is frightening! Some nasties often disguise them selves as some of these but most of the sites that said this gave me a free registry scan with the usual very high number of problems found and "send $$$$ to fix your problem". I run MBAM weekly.

*** I'd gone to OneMoreLevel.com - I'm not what you'd call a 'gamer' but I do occasionally play Lightning Pool and other simple stuff. The screen ran very slowly but as there were adverts for 'Faster Broadband' and 'Speed up your PC' I cynically thought that the slow speed was deliberate.

But just going to my Home page (BBC News) showed the 60% CPU useage. I used the Windows System Maintenance tool but no success. I ran MBAM but that showed no problems.

(1) Has anyone any suggestions for how I can now check if I've a problem, please?

(2) Why (apparently) should a 32 bit program be involved when my PC is 64 bit?

(3) Am I right not to use stand-alone Registry Cleaners?

Thank you

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2014 - 09:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Taffy_078

Taffy_078
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:43 AM

PS (Couldn't find an 'edit' function) Some nasties often disguise themselves as some of these should have had quote marks and read

"Some nasties often disguise themselves as some of these" was one of the comments that was frightening. Hope that makes sense!

#3 DarkSinisterKid

DarkSinisterKid

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

Hello,

Just kill the process  :devil:

run the following in cmd:

taskkill /f /im wscript.exe

This would kill the program, thus dropping CPU usage.

-§inisterKid

Edited by DarkSinisterKid, 25 April 2014 - 05:50 AM.

-[ Dark§inisterKid ]-

#4 Taffy_078

Taffy_078
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for that DarkSinisterKid.

Did that - got this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601'] © 2009
C:\Users\Dad>taskkill /f  /im wscript.exe
'taskkill' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Yet 'taskkill' is on the list of the commands available per MS Help via the Help button. I also tried 'tkill' but got the same result. Any more thoughts please

#5 Taffy_078

Taffy_078
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

Just discovered after CMD appears in the Search, I should have right-clicked it and hit Run as Administrator. Did it - your command worked, Thanks ever so much.

#6 DarkSinisterKid

DarkSinisterKid

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hey Taffy,

You're welcome! I'm glad I helped.

-§inisterKid

-[ Dark§inisterKid ]-

1 user(s) are reading this topic