Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it my graphics card or the Windows Updates?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Sky1991

Sky1991

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

Hi,

I just bought a custom built desktop today and I'm having to install the drivers, etc. as a non-techie person. 

1. So when I first got it, I installed Windows 7, the motherboard drivers and the NVIDIA drivers. It crashed during the last part which I think was caused by some Windows Updates, displaying a blank screen where I could still move the mouse.

2. I asked for some help online and found the best/easiest thing to do was a clean reinstall of Windows 7. I did this and everything was fine up until I reached the last stage, the Windows updates. I hit restart to complete the update and the computer started to log off, however when it restarted the windows logo appeared but when it came to the point where it should have moved onto displaying the desktop - it froze first with the just the windows logo and then turned into the blank screen again.

3.Figuring it's the Windows updates that are at fault, I restored to the point before I installed them. This worked, however I still needed to install them. When I did this, the blank screen returned leaving me fed up with how long this process has been taking :/

From the reading around that I have been doing, I think it's the video card, monitor or more likely to be these windows updates. I'd appreciate some help, please.

I've looked inside the desktop case to see if anything was dislodged or loosened during transition. This doesn't seem to be the case. I realise this might just be missing something and so have included these pics:

Attached File  1.jpeg   120.99KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2.jpeg   107.1KB   0 downloadsAttached File  3.jpeg   119.87KB   0 downloadsAttached File  4.jpeg   113.48KB   0 downloadsAttached File  5.jpeg   46.73KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sky1991

Sky1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

It's always fine starting up in safe mode, btw. I've tried that.

(I'm not going to be online for a few hours now, tired of trying to get it to work lol, so I will try out whatever suggestions are posted later. Thanks.)

Edited by Sky1991, 24 April 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#3 Sky1991

Sky1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

Also one more point: since I am paying quite a bit for this, are there any ways I can check out whether all the components I've gotten are working properly and not faulty? I have over a week, I think, to return it. Is it worth getting someone local to check it over?

Edited by Sky1991, 24 April 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

My instinctive reaction to your problem is...:: Drivers.

If it fires up ok in safe mode.......the real difference between normal and safe mode is that safe mode is "bare bones"

Reinstall your graphics card driver.

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. In the list of hardware categories, find the device that you want to update, and then double-click the device name.

3. Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, and then follow the instructions. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If clicking 'update driver' gives you no joy.......uninstall the driver (still in device manager) and then reboot the PC. Windows will automatically choose a driver to suit the graphics card.

Give it a whirl...nothing to lose !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 Sky1991

Sky1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

I tried it alreadh previously and again just nkw but unfortunately it doesn't change what happens.

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:30 PM

i second the suggestion above, win7 is colliding with your display drivers, and insists on winning for lack of a better way to put it. if it is possible, try that card in a different PC and see how it goes. also, be sure your power supply can power the gfx card properly, watts and +12v amps etc.

does the card require a 6 pin pci connection off of the power supply? often that is overlooked.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#7 Sky1991

Sky1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:35 PM

I don't have another PC to try it on. It's the gtx 750 and my power supply is 6A/250V

#8 Sky1991

Sky1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

I've only been given two 3 pin connections off the power supply. I've used one, I'm not sure what the other is for :/

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:46 PM

those new gtx 750s i think are the  low power requirement specification type. it shouldn't need a 6 pin.

do you mean 250 watts?

the tonly hree pin i can think of shouldn't be for anything off of the power supply. that is what the internal fans use off of the motherboard

there should be a 4pin that goes to your motherboard and that monster 24 pin also, and then the satas for the hard drives etc.

250 watts might not be enough for the total system though.

#10 Sky1991

Sky1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:55 PM

I'm sorry I misunderstood that haha. I just looked at the specs and it says 450W standard power supply.

#11 Sky1991

Sky1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

Just now I was trying to figure out if his monitor can be dimmed and clicking a button I found an option as 'input'. Alternating between the two options therein gives me a normal display wih my desktop for DVI and the screen I mentioned for VGA. I think I've found the problem! What does this mean? :/

#12 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

dvi and vga are different connection types from the PC to the monitor. vga is the old type, but trusty. newer monitors also have the dvi-d type. the dvi-i goes both ways. if you look at the dvi, if it has pinouts around the long slot pin, then it is dvi-i which can be passively adapted to vga with a cheap adapter.

my monitor only takes vga and the dvi-d,   which doesn't have the 4 pins around the long pin, so i just connect it with a cheap dvi-d cable off of the gfx card

Edited by synergy513, 25 April 2014 - 12:05 AM.

#13 Sky1991

Sky1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

Great, mine seems to be the dvi-I. So it's the adaptor I'm lacking? I'm going to have a better look at this later and post back what I find. Thank you for your help! :)

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

What is the make and model of the motherboard?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 Sky1991

Sky1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

ASUS MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 Intel Z87 Chipset, ATX Mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, 7.1 HD Audio, HDMI, GbLAN, USB 3.0, SATA-III, 1x Gen2 PCIe x16, 1x Gen2 PCIe x4, 2x PCIe x 1 & 2x PCI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users