Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Browser connectivity problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Trailofarrows

Trailofarrows

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:31 PM

So before I left for vacation a few days ago, my computer froze up. I tried every possible shortcut until finally I just pressed my PCs power button. After turning my Pc back on, I got the error message when connecting to my wifi "Limited connection." Today I just got back and went straight to work, I saw that my CPU was at 96% (not sure if relevant) and proceeded to do these things
-Restart computer
-Reset router
-Winsock commands

After a while I had solved 2 problems, my limited connectivity, and my high CPU usage.

Super excited to finally get to use my computer to watch some shows, I saw that chrome wouldn't allow me to open any webpages at all. I then tried IE And Firefox which all gave me the same problem. I checked Skype which was okay, and then joined a steam online game and it worked just fine. What I have done (that hasn't worked)

-Booted in safe mode with networking
-used Winsock. Again
-changed proxy settings
-pretty much every other command that this forum listed

If anyone could help me with this I will be very grateful. Also disclaimer I'm posting this on my phone as there is no other way to access these forums from my house.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 todddster

todddster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

I am having the same issues with my hp envy. Restarted the computer for some reason and now, i can connect to skype, garrys mod, etc, but i am unable to connect via IE, Firefox, or Chrome. I have reset winsock, and the ipv's to no avail. I can successfully see the ip and ping it via the command prompt. I have also disabled or allowed the browsers in the firewall.

I can also see my hp via my 2Wire router (uverse). All drivers are up to date.

Thank you for any assistance.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Try doing s System Restore using a restore point prior to the problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Trailofarrows

Trailofarrows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

I have tried using system restore, but anytime I try to pick a point prior to the problem, It gives me an error message

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computers system files and settings were not changed.

Details:

The specified restore point is missing or corrupt. Try again using another restore point. (0x81000201)

Update: None of my restore points work, even the two I made yesterday.

#5 BInarybaited

BInarybaited

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

type regedit in your command prompt .and type ipconfig / flushdns .then type ipconfig / all . go to device manager and turn on view hidden devices check for unused connections like isatap adapters in your propertys and delete or uninstall multi copys if any .restart computer .go to browsers and clear all cache .restart browser .also check internet connection and make sure its auto or static ip whichever your on.check your tcp ipv4 in network settings as well.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

type regedit in your command prompt .and type ipconfig / flushdns .then type ipconfig / all . go to device manager and turn on view hidden devices check for unused connections like isatap adapters in your propertys and delete or uninstall multi copys if any .restart computer .go to browsers and clear all cache .restart browser .also check internet connection and make sure its auto or static ip whichever your on.check your tcp ipv4 in network settings as well.

That command opens the Registry, they don't need to edit the registry.

cmd needs to be typed in the Search programs and files box, the right click on cmd and  choose Run as administrator.  This opens the Elevated Command Prompt where you can type in those commands... one at a time followed by pressing Enter after each command.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 todddster

todddster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Okay, i have tried the above, to no avail. A bit more information: i have connectivity to the above mentioned programs, skype and garry's mod, but no connectivity when a browser Or when a program such as malwarebytes tries to connect to the internet. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

I'd like you to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.

• Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.

• For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.

• Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.

• Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."

• Click the Start button.

• Accept any security warnings from your browser.

• Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"

• Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications

• Scan for potentially unsafe applications

• Enable Anti-Stealth technology

• ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.

• When the scan completes, click List Threats

• Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.

• Click the Back button.

• Click the Finish button.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  If this is the first time you have run this version of Malwarbytes you will see an image like the one below.

mbam1_zps95cc812c.png

Click on Update Now, after Malwarebytes is updated click on Scan.

If this isn't the first time you have run this version, then you will see an image like the one below.  Click on Scan

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

You will be prompted to update Malwarebytes, to do so click on Update Now.

mbam2_zps85f38f0c.png

3)  The scan will automatically run now.

mbamreplace_zps3ead4824.png

4)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Quarantine All, then click on Apply Actions

mbam4_zps23e52ad4.png

5)  To complete any actions taken you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes

mbam4_zps490948cc.png

6)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.

Edited by dc3, 27 April 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#9 todddster

todddster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

I tried to download and install eset from a thumb drive, but when i try to launch, it gives me a "can't get update. Is proxy configured?" Error. I cant get to the internet to download it from my hp.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

If you can still boot into Safe Mode with Networking try downloading the programs and run it from there.

#11 todddster

todddster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

No luck there. Also, when i look at that computer via the uverse gateway, it says the pc is active. All the firewalls have been disabled. I am just not that familiar with windows 8.1

Thanks for all the help.

#12 todddster

todddster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

I think i have found the problem, but now need some additional help. After hours of researching and beating my head against the wall, i stopped working on the problem for a day. All the help kept mentioning a virus so i rechecked webroot's quarantine file. Low and behold, there were numerous files quarantined which reference registry keys and winsock2.

I googled this info, on another computer of course, and the panda security website popped up with info on the spabot.as virus. All the files in my webroot quarantine parallel the files that spabot.as creates.

My question: the panda security website had a removal/fix tool. In order to use it, do i need to restore the infected files from webroot and use panda's tool or? Kinda on unfamiliar ground here.

Thanks for all the assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users