Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable boot volume message XP blue screen...please help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pleasehelpme62

pleasehelpme62

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

I think I have a virus. I was online and knew as soon as I did it. I turned off my computer.
When I turned it back on, I got the blue screen with unmountable Boot message. I tried rebooting system with my xp installation disk but it didn't even read the cd and I just got the blue screen again.
Is there any way to fix this? Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

G'day pleasehelpme62, ...." I was online and knew as soon as I did it "...what exactly does that mean ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 pleasehelpme62

pleasehelpme62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

I was having trouble with iTunes and downloaded a couple things to help uninstall it. A window came up saying I had been infected.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode.

Using the F8 Method:

1. Restart your computer.
  2. When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
  3. Select the option for SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING using the arrow keys.
  4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
  5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.

Then....

Please download RKill by Grinler from the link below and save it to your desktop.

RKill
    Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
    Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
    A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
    If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply.
    A log pops up at the end of the run. This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
    Please post the log in your next reply.

DO NOT REBOOT>>>>

Then....

Download AdwCleaner  by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
• Vista / Windows 7 / 8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
• Click on the Scan button. (only once[/I])
• AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
• When it's done you'll see: Pending: Uncheck any elements you don't want removed.
• Now click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
• Look over the log especially under Files/Folders for any program you want to save.
• If there's a program you want to save, just uncheck it from AdwCleaner.
• If you're not sure, post the log for review.
• If you're ready to clean it all up.....click the Clean button.(only once)

Note you will be asked to click OK and confirm with OK to reboot. (Allow it to reboot now)
• After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
• Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

Do you still need help ??....if not, I will remove you from my watch list.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 pleasehelpme62

pleasehelpme62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

Thank you for your follow up, but I was able to clear the virus.  You can remove me from your watch list.  Thanks again!

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

Always a pleasure !....just call out if you need help.

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users