Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2slots for ram, all in 1 stick or 2 sticks matched equally ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lawlesss

lawlesss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

Hello to all. this is my 1st post, any and all help, or opinions, suggestions are given thanks. what I have is a dell precision m4500 with windows 7 pro 64 bit. want to max. out ram capacity. my understanding is that it is capable of supporting 16 gb. assuming this is correct. which would be best? 1)all of total in one stick? or 2) equally matched and divided into 2 sticks of total supported? also it's my researched understanding crucial inc. is the only compatible ram for larger upgrades in size. True or false. thanks for any light you may behold and care to share.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

16GB is the maximum total with both slots populated, so you would use 2x 8GB to give the fastest dual-channel operating mode.

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/Precision+Mobile+Workstations/Precision+M4500+%28Quad+Core%29-upgrades.html

Hard to say whether alternatives can be guaranteed compatible, but at least Crucial offer a compatibility guarantee, and are often quoted for that reason.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 lawlesss

lawlesss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

I thank you for the speedy reply, and consider my questions resolved. Thank you for your time and answers, Moderater. Off to see the wizard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users