Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing 3TB hard drive from MBR to GPT

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sulli

sulli

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hello, I have just purchased a new blank 3TB hard drive (Western Digital) and have been using the web for instructions how to make the drive usable - partitioning and formatting etc etc. I seem only to be able to get 2TB of the disk as usable -the partitioning is broken in to 2 parts of 2048GB and 746GB. Having consulted the web about this problem it seems the problem is the disk is in MBR mode (perhaps something i did?)which doesnt allow anything greater then 2GB when it should in fact be GPT. When i view the disk list in Computer Management of Windows it reads as follows: Type: Basic, Capacity: 2794.52GB, Unallocated Space: 2794.52GB, Status: Online, Device Type: USB, Partition style: MBR. If what i have been researching is correct it seems somehow I have to get the disk from MBR to GPT before i can begin the process of partitioning and formatting, however i am unable to find any information on how to successfully do this. Can someone please help. Im not sure what other information is needed but i'm running Vista. Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

I am assuming this is USB disk. Download the free Partition Wizard for home and use the MBR to GPT conversion wizard.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/convert-MBR-disk-to-GPT-disk.html

Edit: Some additional info.

User should be aware that data will be erased while converting MBR to GPT. Please refer following steps of how to use MiniTool Partition Wizard to convert MBR to GPT.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 April 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#3 sulli

sulli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Thank you for your help. This did the trick perfectly. I was able to convert my disk from MBR to GPT and can now use the full allocation of 3TB. Once again thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users