Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wifi range extender

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fuzzfontenot

fuzzfontenot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

i am trying to set up a linksys re2000 range extender it will not set up. i have tried linksys support and they are no help. can anyone help me please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

Are you trying to provide better coverage throughout your home/property?

Here is the support page for your product, though you mave already tried these things. We need to start from somewhere.

https://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/rangeexpanders/RE2000

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 fuzzfontenot

fuzzfontenot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

it is for where i work the router is in our office. i am trying to get wifi to the house which is about 100 feet away. i was on the phone with them for several hours today. 

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

That should be within the range of most of these devices, even the router alone should cover 100 feet, provided it's near a window facing the target (your home). I'm also taking it, based on a similar setup that I've seen, that the repeater is installed in your home, preferably facing the router through a window. Line of sight between the devices are important here.

Are you also using the same brand of wireless modem? It may not matter, but generally speaking, matched brand components of this type should perform better than mixed ones.

If all of the above are OK, I'm inclined to believe this is one of three things, settings, defective device or interference. I take it that coverage in your office is working.

EDIT: Are your office computer(s) wired to the router or connected by wireless? Ideally, in an office setting, computers would be wired for security. I ask this because we need to establish that the wireless modem is functioning properly, plus even 100 feet away, there should be some signal to the home from that distance, even if weak in some areas. Mine connects from 3x that far with no clear line of sight.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 24 April 2014 - 08:08 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,734 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

Can you relocate the router to a window facing the house?

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 fuzzfontenot

fuzzfontenot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

I had it plugged into the router and I tried it in the same office still didnt work

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

Can you relocate the router to a window facing the house?

That's my thoughts on the issue.

Cat

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

This is beginning to appear as though settings are off. Both the router & extender has to be on the same page to work properly.

Cat

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Are you going by these instructions? It is what I've came up with as to the device.

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=1f001139e53f46d28ba75cce974b1c55_Setting_up_the_Linksys_RE2000_using_the_Setup_Wizard.xml

Cat

#10 fuzzfontenot

fuzzfontenot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

Yes I've tried to manually install it. When I type the IP address in the bar it brings me to a diferent sight then it's supposed to. When I finally get it to go to the linksys site it gets to about 30% of the install it disconnects my computer.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

There is an issue somewhere that's causing these devices not to get the handshake between the two that's needed. Hopefully now that the topic is in the Networking section, it will receive more exposure & hopefully a solution.

Cat

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

What are you extending the signal from? ie what is the router you are using.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#13 fuzzfontenot

fuzzfontenot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

The router is a linksys 6500 router

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

Manual Setup This is the way I would set it up. I dislike set up wizards. just plug it into a computer and surf in. Double check your main router's SSID and pass phrase. Use WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode. It should work.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users