Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for Free Software to Protect Kids from bad content

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tybudd

Tybudd

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking for a web filtering program that I can set restrictions on internet content by "type" categories, as well as band direct pages from my children.

I can't find any, can either of you be of some assistance?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TonyinTexas

TonyinTexas

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

Doig a search of "free parental controls and internet filtering software" will provide you with a host of offerings that apply to family filtering.  I do not know any free programs myself. The one that I have heard the most of is called "Safe Eyes" and for a time was promoted on the Dave Ramsey Radio program  It costs under 50 per year but would be a good investment I think

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

I have not used it myself but K9 gets good reviews and is free for home use.

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

#4 tj777

tj777

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

K9 is the best AFAIK. Tried it and find it excellent but not perfect.

tj777

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

You could consider OpenDNS Family Shield:

http://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/parental-controls/opendns-familyshield/

It is free. You implement it at the router level for that ALL devices that connect to your network should block "adult" content.

If you don't want to go that route, then current (and recent) versions of both Windows and the Mac OS allow you to setup limited accounts that you can then engage parental controls on. The same is true of iOS devices. No extra software needed. There might be third party products that are potentially more effective (I have never actively used either Windows or the Mac OS' parental controls myself for any sustained period of time, so I cannot say how effect they are).

#6 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:51 AM

Also the Windows family accounts, allow for shut off times on the internet.  Sites visited, programs used etc etc.  Also, if your kids have windows phones, you can find them by using the "find my phone option."   Also   Kaspersky Pure antivirus has a really good family setting as well.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users