Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More Ram For My Pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:46 AM

Hello guys, I hope I've posted this in the right forum :thumbsup:
Right, my problem is that my computer (A DELL Dimension 3000) only has 256mb of RAM, which is not good enough to stay up-to-date with the latest games releases etc. So, I decided that I would purchase 512mb more RAM. However, whilst I was going about this, I had two questions that I thought you would be able to answer for me (I've never upgraded my computer before).

Firstly, I thought that I'd buy the RAM directly from DELL, over the internet. However, when I was browsing a 512mb 'bit' there was a warning that said something along the lines of "Installation in matched pairs of modules is recommended, please order quantity two. Although the memory may be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from installing in matched pairs of modules." Now, is this DELL trying to get me to buy two, and spend more money, or does it really affect performance if I buy just one?

Secondly, if I decided not to buy them RAM directly from DELL (from PCWorld or somewhere--I'm from the UK), would it still work in my computer?

Thanks a lot,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:21 AM

Firstly, I thought that I'd buy the RAM directly from DELL, over the internet. However, when I was browsing a 512mb 'bit' there was a warning that said something along the lines of "Installation in matched pairs of modules is recommended, please order quantity two. Although the memory may be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from installing in matched pairs of modules." Now, is this DELL trying to get me to buy two, and spend more money, or does it really affect performance if I buy just one?

Not a sales gimmick. Look in your owner's manual in the section about adding memory then open your computer. You most likely will find that you already have a matched pair of memory in slots 1 and 2 (physically the first and third slots). If that is the case, new memory should be a matched pair installed in slots 3 and 4 (physically the second and forth slots).

Secondly, if I decided not to buy them RAM directly from DELL (from PCWorld or somewhere--I'm from the UK), would it still work in my computer?

As long as it is the same type (PC2700, PC3200, etc.).

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:33 AM

Not a sales gimmick. When you install the memory in matched pairs it runs in dual channel mode which increases your memory bandwidth.

I might still work. The motherboards can be very picky about what RAM it will want to run with. The memory manufacturers have on their web-pages Memory configurators which help you find compatible memory.

Kingston memory for Dell Dimension 3000
Crucial memory for Dell Dimension 3000
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 rookie147

rookie147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:09 AM

Thanks a lot for the help guys, I'll order some and post back if I have any more trouble.
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users