Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cnannini

cnannini

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

Every time I install a program on my laptop, and reboot the laptop while come back on it shuts down. When I restart the computer it wants me to do  a disk check. I have to do this two or three times. After I do a restore I have no other problem until the next install. Has anyone else had the issue?

Thanks

Chuck N.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

Welcome,

A bit of information please;

Operating system? Amount of RAM installed? Age of components?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 cnannini

cnannini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

I have W7,8g of ram, the system is about 8 -10 yrs. old. I have the Toshiba Satellite P105 

Thanks

Chuck N.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

Chuck,

I think that your system has served you well and needs to be retired - the sooner the better. Backup your data, fully and often so that the loss is minimal when it gasps its last.

You could go about replacing various pieces and parts but I think that the cost would exceed that of a new system and the reliability would be less.

You may have a problem finding a new system with W7 but it is still possible, I think. Otherwise get ready to learn W8.

Good luck and keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

please post a speccy report http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

I believe dicke's suggestion to retire your computer is very much premature.

Have you run chkdsk /r?  If not, I would suggest doing this.

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

Click on the Start orb and type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in chkdsk c:/r then press Enter.  Please notice the space between the chkdsk and the /r.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 cnannini

cnannini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

1. Thanks I'll give it a try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users