Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse misery

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

Here is a minor but very annoying problem.  On my Win 8 laptop (Dell Inspiron 15) I am using a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500.  I have it set to move up/down 3 lines for each click of the wheel - but in fact, when writing a Word document, it takes 5 clicks to move one line.  Here when typing in an online message, it is only about 3 clicks per line ... but that still makes moving around a document excruciatingly slow.  It seems that the mouse has been getting slower and slower as I write ... it was more or less normal a couple of days ago.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Could it be the batteries in either the mouse or the receiver unit coming to the end of their lives ?  A falling voltage level would have this effect.

Aternatively, check your mouse settings - 'Charms - Settings - Control panel'.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

I did check the mouse settings - as I wrote, 3 lines per click.

The receiver is powered by USB, no batteries there.  The mouse has been in use for no more than two months, probably a good deal less.  Inserting a new battery produced no improvement ... in order to scroll among files, it now takes several rolls of the wheel to move at all.

I should note that the physical distance between the mouse and the USB receiver is only about two feet.  Moving the mouse to a position right next to the receiver has no effect.

Changing the setting does change the speed - setting 6 lines per click means that in a Word document it now takes only 3 clicks to scroll one line.

The curious thing is that this has just happened - rather gradually I think - a couple of days ago I had no reason to notice an unsatisfactory scrolling speed.

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

When you say one line do you mean one line of writing or one page?

Mine is on 5 lines per click and is very comfortable for me. It moves at a steady pace and is not too slow.

Thanks,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#5 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

I meant one line of writing/typing.

I have it currently set to 6 lines per click, better but still very slow - it now takes 3 clicks of the wheel to move one line of text in, e.g., a Word document.  A bit more in some other situations, but still exasperating.  I suppose I can just set it higher . . .  and higher . . . <G>

I am however wondering how this changed, as it very noticeably did, without my changing the default setting (3 lines per click).

That computer is my work laptop and gets a few hours of use almost every day.  I usually produce at least several Word documents (actually, drafts of E-mail messages my secretary then sends) each day.  The slowdown in mouse-scrolling rate has become noticeable only in the last few days.

I am not doing anything fancy with this computer.  MS Word (365) texts, Internet lookups mostly of technical stuff (I am General Manager of a rural water district, but with much more scientific background than typical in that job - "grossly overqualified" as they like to say <G> but I'm not complaining, it lets me find interesting cheap solutions to otherwise thorny expensive problems).  I write reports.  I use spreadsheets to analyze what's happening in the system.  I take and store a lot of photographs (document everything ...).    Very low-level basic stuff.  My computer at home is a different story, but the office laptop has not yet been asked to do anything beyond the basics.

#6 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

Does anyone else use the laptop?

It could have been changes by someone else or as part of a driver update for the mouse.

Thanks,

Darktune

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#7 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

So far nobody else has used the laptop.  Driver update, possibly.  The mouse is aftermarket, a Microsoft wireless one I bought at Staples (Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500.  If the drivers have been updated it was done automatically without my noticing it (Windows update?).

#8 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

Hey,

Would you have unplugged the mouse and plugged it in to a different USB port?

Thanks,

Darktune

#9 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

Wow, that did it.  I unplugged the wireless receiver dongle (a tiny little thing) and plugged it into the next USB port, and lo! the scrolling function behaves as it originally did (so now I have to go back and set the scroll rate back to 3 lines per click <G>).  Unplugged the dongle again and plugged it back into the original USB port, and it still works correctly.  Go figure!

Having, like Kipling's Elephant Child, an insatiable curiosity, of course I want to know how come?

#10 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

I'm glad this worked.

Each usb port is controlled separately sometimes. This means even though you've used a device in your pc before if you change usb ports it will put the device on default settings. This can also happen if you change from usb 2.0 to usb 3.0.

I'm glad your issue is fixed

Thanks

Darktune

#11 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

This machine has 4 USB ports, 3 on the left hand side and one more on the right.  I am calling the left hand ones A, B and C from the rear forward.

I removed the dongle from port B and plugged it into Port .C  That immediately restored the normal function of the mouse but the setting I had changed (6 lines per click instead of default 3 lines) remained the way I had set it, at 6 lines per click.  Then I removed the dongle from port C and plugged it back into port B and it continued to function normally.  I then changed the setting to 3 lines per click (the default AFAIK) and it is now (still) working correctly, i.e. the way it worked before the scrolling began to slow down.  In the meantime I have perused a half dozen articles (PDFs and Web pages) and written a couple of short text documents in MS Word.  The scrolling continues to work correctly.

At least some of the ports are USB 3.0 - not sure about all of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users