Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alasdair

alasdair

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:09 AM

have an old TIME PC with just over 4 MG memory. A friend wiped the harddisk clean of a bugged version of Windows 98 and installed XP. Unfortunately Microsoft wouldn't authenticate it because it was an overused programme! I have now bought an authorised version of XP but I can't get it to install because it will only install as an upgrade if there is an existing Windows 98! So i thought I'd get into the setup system and disable the hard disk. Great , I've got rid of the bum version of XP, but I am left with a screen message:

couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
NTLDR: couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0(partition(1).

I have reset the advanced CMOS Setup to :

1st boot device floppy
2nd boot device IDE-0
3rd boot device CDROM
4th boot device CDROM
Bootup Num-lock On
Floppy Drive Swap Disabled
Floopydrive Seek Enabled
Floopy Access Control Normal
Typematic Rate Fast
Password Check Setup
External Cache Enabled
System BIOS Cacheable Disabled
Video BIOS Shadow Enabled

Can anybody help me get back to neutral so that I can install my new XP disk?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:51 AM

Make the cd rom the first boot device, and ide 0 the second. That way it should boot from the cdrom. I never have much luck with upgrades, and prefer a fresh start. I have found that if I hit f2 a couple of times just as the system would normally start to boot into windows, it will give me the "press any key" to proceed.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users