Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IOMMU bio setting with Kali live cd?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Hey everyone,

So i have picked up linux a little while ago out of interest and really wanting to further my knowledge into the OS. My question stems from something i hope that can be explained to me by an expert. Yesterday i created a live cd of Kali linux. At first it wouldnt load to the GUI, same thing happened when i used a usb instead of cd. I decided to give the 64bit iso another shot using Imgburn instead of built in windows burner, and it worked. That was the first thing that was strange to me. Since i thought it was a problem with the iso rather than a bad dvd, or dvd drive, but the same problem happened when i tried with usb. This was all done on my windows 7 alienware 14.

Today i booted to the live cd on my custom built AMD rig with windows 8. The GUI would boot, but once in GUI I had no keyboard or mouse function. So by doing my research i found that there is a bios option to check called IOMMU. I enabled it in bios and everything was perfect. My rig has a gigabyte 970a ud3p motherboard. So everything has been figured out, but i want to understand WHY i needed to change that bios setting, exactly what it does and what it is. Basically want to learn and get some education on it from some experts. Appreciate everyone

Edited by acerts04, 24 April 2014 - 03:34 PM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

Try this.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/85776/what-is-iommu-and-will-it-improve-my-vm-performance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOMMU

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 acerts04

acerts04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Good reads. Thank you. What i cant seem to understand is with other distros ive used, never needed IOMMU enabled. Only kali. Any input on that?

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users