Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my firewall safe? (Windows 7 Pro 32)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

I have set up the native firewall, within my laptop, from Micrsoft Essentials or ?. It might be associated with another program?
I ran a check from a site called 'Shields Up'. Of all the squares that are supposed to be green, there were few that were red, meaning a failure; thus my overall score from the site is that I failed.

I don't know what else I can do, if there are deeper rooted settings, or if the site doesn't exactly interface with the windows firewall for an accurate score?

I am coming here & posting this topic, in case there are other measures or "tricks" that I can perform, to assure that the firewall is doing its job?

Thanks for replies, ahead of time.
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1607
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 2.00gHz 2.00 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

5 Reasons Why the Windows Firewall is One of the Best Firewalls. For more information see Choosing a Firewall.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

The biggest reason for having a firewall is to control who gets into your machine.  The biggest mistake users make is clicking on that interesting link you got in your e-mail.  The first thing the virus you just invited into your machine will do is disable any and all protection it finds, Anti-virus, firewalls, task manager, system restore, all the methods you'd use to prevent intrusion.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone can have.

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed.

#5 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:17 AM

Thanks for the reply. I did go through 'How to configure Windows Firewall in Windows 7'. It failed the "sheilds up" test & the ports that were the issue were 80, 1025 & 1026. I don't know if this is really an issue? But will look on some of these other tutorials that you have posted, to see what I am missing?

I am careful about going into areas that are problems & do know that I am bound to hit one of those sites that will do me harm. At times, recently, I went to a couple of sites suggested from the forums at Bleepingcomputer, to get a couple of free pinball programs. All seems ok, with a couple of minor gliches; I can live with. The other issue that I will refrain from, unless I can find a manner to utilize, is 'Rojadirecta'; a site that allows for free prosports streaming. If not careful there, one is apted to click on an unentended link & get some pesky maladware.

Thanks again for the replies & I will follow advice so I keep a fairly clean machine. I know that if I keep from going on untreaded sites, I will be better off. Sometimes I am lead there by advice & it would be nice if I could get on one of those sites & get out of it, without crudding up my laptop?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

First of all, it is important the know if your machine is connected directly to the Internet or not. One way to test this, is to look at the IP address of your machine (for example with the command ipconfig).

If you know what an IP address is, and how to determine the IP address of your machine, check if it is a Private IP address. If your IP address starts with:

10.*.*.*

172.16.*.* - 172.31.*.*

192.168.*.*

then it is a Private IP address. Otherwise it is a Public IP address (do not post your public IP address here).

If you have a Private IP address, then your machine is not directly connected to the Internet. Hence Shields Up is not reporting what it sees on your machine,

but what it sees on your network device (modem, router, ...).

If you have a Private IP address, and you want to address the "issues" listed by Shields Up, then configuring the firewall on your machine will not help.

You have to do this configuration on your network device (provided you even can do this).

Second, don't be afraid of a "Failed" result by Shields Up. Some issues detected by Shields Up are in itself no threat to your machine. For example failing the ping test.

So first determine if you have a Private or Public IP address, and then we'll take it from there.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

Didier Stevens,

Thanks for the reply. My address starts as such ##.#.##.###  the 1st number is five; don't know if that means anything?

I haven't had too much trouble overall, in regards to attacks, but did get a bug not too far back & was greatful Bleeping computer was on hand to help with the issue.

I use a "secured" IPS & not a public IP. I haven't used this machine on a public since I moved from XP to Win 7.

If I have given too much info with the array I laid out & the number, please let me know & I will edit it out.

#9 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

Then your IP address is a Public IP address, and it's important to have a properly configured firewall running on your machine.

The result you get on GRC are then relevant to your machine.

Just to be sure: you did check your IP address with a local command on your machine (like ipconfig), and not on a website like http://whatismyipaddress.com/ ?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users