Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Original Call Of Duty

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shaver

shaver

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:38 AM

Hi all,

I have the following set up:

Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an

eMachines 6250
AMD Athlon Processor 3400+ 2.4Ghz, 512MB RAM, nVIDIA 6200 256MB graphics card.

I have never had any games on my pc, but recently have become somewhat addicted to the original version of Call Of Duty!!!

Trouble is my computer takes forever to exit the game and even when it has exited, the computer continues to run very slowly until i log off and back on again.

I know nothing except the basics about PC's, so when a friend pointed out that i had a low quality graphics chip in my computer rather than a card, I immediately went out and had a new graphics card fitted.(as per the spec above).

Unfortunately although the graphics are superb, it hasn't helped the situation one bit. I know from the help administered on this site before that my computer is totally free of any virus or spyware, so i am totally bamboozled!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:25 AM

Hi Shaver,

When playing games on your computer: Your PC will use alot of memory from your RAM and VRAM inorder to make the game play.
-This causes your computer to limit the amout of memory for Windows (Explorer) to use so that you can browse your computer.
--It takes Windows some time after coming out of a "Labour Intensive" application for it to regain its full speed.

NOTE: Try ending some NON-ESSENTIAL processes from the task manager so that you will have more available memory for your apps.
-If your not too sure of what a process does: Google or Yahooo search it.
Dont worry about shutting something essential down, just reboot the computer if you have any problems.
JU$T1N~1

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:27 AM

If it is really slow when you exit the game, I think its because the game isn't fully closed yet. You'd have to go to the task manager and see if Call of Duty is still running.

You could try,

going to the task manager and checking for Call of Duty's process, which I'm assuming might be called COD.exe. If it is still running after you've closed the game, closing it should resolve the problem.

*edit* and as with the person above my post, having more ram always helps. Though isn't Call of Duty a bit older? Still, having more ram is a must for newer games like Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, ect.

Edited by Wizdabest, 21 May 2006 - 09:32 AM.

#4 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:41 AM

Cheers for the replies guys,

Wizdabest - I cannot see that Call of Duty is still running, but appreciate what you are saying so I will search some more before i give up. I'm really crap at Call of Duty anyway, but just can't get over what a new dimension playing online brings to the game. If I ever get any good at it (not likely!!! LOL) I will consider some of the more modern variations. cheers for your time

Justin - I have over 60 processes running on my PC!!! I had no idea!! just what they all are i don't know, but can't believe they are all essential. Will spend the rest of the afternoon googling them and shutting down where poss to see if performance improves. thank you, your explanation was in a language i understood!! WHEW!!

Regards,

Shaver

#5 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:41 PM

Good to hear Shaver

-I think that once you eliminate alot of unnessesary processes you will gain alot of performance and you will most likely resolve you "hang up"

NOTE: Windows usually runs about 16 - 24 services BY ITSELF depending on security and service pack level.

Peace Outside
JU$T1N~1

#6 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

Hi Justin and once again ta for all your help,

spent all afternoon on the old google, and did manage to eliminate several processes, but am still left with some 45+ which i deem fairly necessary for the happy and healthy running of my PC.

After reading your comments about how the computer takes time to return to full speed after exiting a labour intensive program, i am rather tempted to invest in some extra RAM. (Currently have 512, I think!!)

If you get chance would you be good enough to explain the diff between RAM & VRAM, so i can try to understand what i need and how to ask for it when i get a quote from my local friendly PC engineers?

many thanks

Shaver

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

I can't really explain that but I would reccomend getting at least another 512 stick to bring you up to 1 gig.

#8 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:44 AM

Your best bet when buying RAM:

Take out the RAM stick that is on your MotherBoard so get you exactly the right kind.

Mis-Matched RAM can cause more problems than good

IMPORTANT NOTE: You are most likely looking for DDR / SD-RAM
-Be carefull of the MHz and Type
JU$T1N~1

#9 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:55 AM

SPOOLSV (Printing service)
ALG
SVCHOST (5)
EXPLORER
WINLOGON
CSRSS
SMSS
SYSTEM
SYSTEM IDLE PROCESS
WDFMGR
LSASS

These are the bare minimums besides Spoolsv & WDFMGR

VRAM = Video Memory (Graphics)
RAM = System Memory

Be care full when buying RAM:
-Best bet is to just take in the RAM card you have in order to get a "MATE"
JU$T1N~1

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:20 PM

oh now I understand VRAM.

#11 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

once again ta for all the advice guys,

I will try running my system with the bare minimums before purchasing the extra ram to see what effect this has. After that, i'll spend some money on new RAM confident that I can at least understand what i'm asking for!!

Cheers again

Shaver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users