Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive not being read

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nate613

nate613

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

During usage, my computer gave me a blue screen. I didn't think too much of it, and attempted a restart. The BIOS started loading until it stopped with an error: "error loading operating system". I thought it was software, but when I booted off my linux live usb, the drive didn't appear. Right now, my main concern is accessing the contents to back it up. Any help would be appreciated.

Dell Dimension E520 WinXP 4GB RAM 160GB hard drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

You could try unplugging the drive and plugging it back in, sometimes the connections get corroded. Try  different cables (power and sata/ide) and a different slot if you have one. Try the drive with a different computer if all else fails. If multiple computers can not see the drive at a bios level, you would likely need to send the drive in to a data recovery center, Ontrack DataRecover, Drive Savers etc. This is never a cheap thing to do. The lowest cost I have seen was around $1000.

Edited by zingo156, 24 April 2014 - 03:34 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

Hi,

Excellent advice. Hope that there is a recent backup or that the drive can be accessed as a slave in a different system. Otherwise it has become a landfill hockey puck. :(

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#4 nate613

nate613
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:22 PM

Sorry for the delay in response. I had a techie friend take a look at it. Most of the recovery programs he tried couldn't read that the drive was formatted and offered to reformat it. However, he eventually tried R-Studio and from there was able to do a raw scan and read the info. My info is currently being recovered to another drive. Sure as hell taught me a lesson about backing my stuff up... Thanks for your assistance.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

I have had decent luck with r-studio myself, that and get data back. Even if the disk is "raw".

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

nate613

I know you will remember to do backups for a short time. My recommendation would be to find a good backup utility and let it remember to do them for you from now on. I have mine set to run twice a week.

Stay well and surf safe,

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users