Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE beeps w/every new picture (Flash?), not "Start navig" or "sound in webpages"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

All of a sudden, IE has started beeping every few seconds whenever a new picture appears on the page.  I have tried:

• putting "none" in the box for "Start Navigation" in the Sounds section. 
  •  unchecking the box for "Play sounds in webpages" in Internet Options.

I identified the sound as the 2-tone sound assigned to "XP Information Bar."

Thanks in advance!

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 7, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

Have you recently installed any new software, especially freebies? I ask because many times, unwanted apps comes along with the one that you wanted.

In this case, check under "Add or Remove Programs" & see what has been installed.

This is a good time to run a Full scan with whatever AV that you have installed.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Speaking of unwanted apps, Chrome just hitchhiked on my Flash update!  This is my boss's computer, so I'm not positive yet, although I think it's unlikely.  I went through Add/Remove & didn't see anything strange.  Is there a way to see when things were installed?  I could only see when something was last modified, when a program was highlighted.

I'll do a complete scan.  Do you know if I have to adjust my power settings so the scan won't stop?  Sometimes I feel like when the screen goes blank it stops.  (It's Trend Micro, if that helps.)  I guess otherwise I'll just do a System Restore.  Or have her stop using IE!

Thanks.

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 7, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

If the install date doesn't show under Add & Remove Programs, it will with CCleaner. There is an uninstall tool with that software.

While you're in that panel, look for anything else that was installed on that date.

Sometimes I feel like when the screen goes blank it stops.  (It's Trend Micro, if that helps.)

That was one of the several issues that I had with Trend Micro, the most notable of which, it asked me to remove MBAM Pro before install. Newegg lured me into buying this crap AV (2012 version) for $9, which included a 4GB Flash drive, of which I still have. Otherwise, I'd have declared the entire purchase as a loss.

Trend Micro didn't stay on my notebook for a month, much less a year. Slowed an otherwise perfectly fine install of Windows 7 Pro x64 on a decent CPU with 8GB RAM.

If needed, go into the Control Panel & select Power Settings, set to Maximum Performance. One shouldn't have to do this just over security software, it sounds that software needs to be tuned to run better on the computer, or trashed.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users