Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Graphics Card But Problem Not Cured

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shaver

shaver

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:35 AM

Hi all,

I have the following set up:

Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an

eMachines 6250
AMD Athlon Processor 3400+ 2.4Ghz, 512MB RAM, nVIDIA 6200 256MB graphics card.

I have never had any games on my pc, but recently have become somewhat addicted to the original version of Call Of Duty!!!

Trouble is my computer takes forever to exit the game and even when it has exited, the computer continues to run very slowly until i log off and back on again.

I know nothing except the basics about PC's, so when a friend pointed out that i had a low quality graphics chip in my computer rather than a card, I immediately went out and had a new graphics card fitted.(as per the spec above).

Unfortunately although the graphics are superb, it hasn't helped the situation one bit. I know from the help administered on this site before that my computer is totally free of any virus or spyware, so i am totally bamboozled!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:08 AM

Have you checked at the manufacturer's site to make sure you have the latest drivers for the new video card?
Does this problem occur when playing other games?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:30 AM

Hi John & thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately i have been to the manufacturers site (www.peakhardware.com) but i cannot identify the product i have purchased.

There are 2 possibles:

GeForce 6200 256MB PCI-E with a revision available for the drivers, and

GeForce 6200 256MB AGP with no revised drivers available.

I'm sorry but i'm just too damn inexperienced to know which one i have, even though i am sitting with the empty box it came in on my lap!! DOH!!

The letters AGP do at least figure on the box i have, but i have no idea what PCI-E means anyway!

I do not have any other games currently installed on my PC, so am unaware if this is a problem that will occur with other manufacturer's games. I have, however, encouraged other friends to join me in my mad pursuit of "World War 2 Glory", and they have installed the Call of Duty game with no problems, even on PC's which are not as high a spec as mine.

I have tried completely un-installing and re-installing the game, but to no avail.

Very much appreciate your help in this matter.

Best regards,
Tim

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:54 PM

The PCI-E video card standard is the current generation of video adapters. It has replaced the AGP video standard. Most new systems use PCI-E graphics due to its superior performance.

#5 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:25 AM

ok thanks. so if i presume that PCI-E suits the new video card i have, and install the revised drivers, will i be able to easily revert to the original drivers if they prove to not be suitable?

cheers
Shaver

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:06 AM

No, no. AGP and PCI-E are differents slots on the motherboard into which you put the graphics card. You either have a PCI-E graphics card in an PCI-E slot on a motherboard with a PCI-E x16 slot for graphics cards, or you have a AGP graphics card in a AGP slot on a motherboard with a AGP slot for graphics cards. They are not physically compatible, and you can only have one and the cannot change that without changing both graphics card and motherboard. If it says that you have an AGP graphics card then you need the drivers for the AGP graphics card.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:34 AM

Are you sure your power supply is big enough for that card? I believe it requires atleast a 300w power supply for it to function properly.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#8 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys it's much appreciated.

So, I definitely have an AGP device which means i am running the latest drivers available.

I spoke to the shop that supplied and fitted the card they say no problem with power supply but suspect that as i have 50 processes running on my computer i could do with more ram. They probably want to make some more money from me!!! lol

Still, it makes sense i guess, so will probably invest.

cheers all

#9 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:24 PM

More ram would not be a bad thing to invest in; very worthwhile actually; especially if you have 50 proceses running.

Have you given any thought to a clean install of win xp >>>>>> I suggest you look into another hard drive to load a fresh clean install of windows on >>>> use your current drive as storage and dont delete anything you may need off it. If your budget is restrictive; check ebay for used IDE drives I have picked up 80 gig western digital drives for $25.00 t0 $30.00

you would be shocked how fast a new clean registry would run the OS platform/

#10 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:26 PM

Cheers Linderman,

I do have a 250gb external hard drive, which i guess would be ideal for the job. But, frankly, though i'm intrigued by the idea of the xp clean install, it sounds like the sort of thing i could well and truly cock up in outstanding fashion!!!

Also, the machine i had came pre-loaded with xp, so all i have is a pack of unopened cd's marked System Restoration Guide! Basically i don't have the faintest idea where to begin

Thanks anyway for all your advice

Shaver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users