Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wyse Winterm V30 (Model No. VNT-6656 G6A 40) beeping once & won't boot?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buffcom

buffcom

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

We have recently come across a Wyse Winterm v30. We were able to find a power cable for it, as it requires basically a laptop charger with less voltage, but it is the specific power cable for that model. When it is plugged in, & hooked up properly for use (power cord, vga cord, ps2 mouse & keyboard), it seems to power just fine. However, when you press the power button only one of the 4 'lights' you would expect to see come out, the mouse lights up underneath, & it beeps once. On certain occasions it will beep one more time in a minute or two (literally). After that the light will stay on but nothing appears on the working screen. I have tried power down & back up the screen & I receive a no signal message before it falls back to sleep. The system does get hot if it is 'on' for longer than 10 minutes. I'm going to assume it runs Windows CE Pro 5.0, I have no experience with the operating system. Apparently this has never happened to anyone else or no one has cared enough to attempt to fix it because a solution to this is no where to be found. 

Since the product was produced in November, 2006, it was made before Dell bought out Wyse. Dell technically support was unable to offer me a solution to the problem. 

Now I know from experience that beeps without booting can often mean internal hardware problems such as a bad motherboard, improperly seated memory or video cards, or even a bad hard drive. However, I'm very hesitant to take this model apart without knowing what I'm going into, since it is smaller than most laptops. I'm not entirely sure how to go about taking it apart properly, I only see like 6 screws. Any help with that would also be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Edited by buffcom, 24 April 2014 - 09:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

It may be looking for the network server. This is a terminal thin client. Wont work as a stand alone

#3 buffcom

buffcom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Well how can I set it up on our network server if it won't turn on?

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

http://wyse.com/products/cloud-clients/thin-clients

#5 buffcom

buffcom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

That link takes me to dell's website & their technical support was unable to help me. 

#6 buffcom

buffcom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Does this model have a hard drive?

#7 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

No. It boots from a server or flashdrive.

http://wysestore.com/pdfs/wyse/V30.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users