Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac>PC network attempt.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NeilCH

NeilCH

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

Hi, I'm quite new to this.I'd never even used a Windows PC till two week's ago and it's been at times a very frustrating and painfull prossess with nothing but the manuals and the internet to work it all out. So there has been lots of doing things over. But now I have built my new PC and it's up and running with all the software, all the storage configured and all my backups set. The last part I have left till now becaused the internet and IP's and such is the most confusing to me. But all my files are on my mac and though I knew they are not very compatible I thought that they shared a format, FAT32. However on trying to start moving my files I find that FAT32 can not move large files. So suddenly I am very stuck  with over a TB of stuff to shift and now way to do it. I tried third party programs for my PC to read my external mac drive but non of them seemed to work.

Now I have fallen on the solution of connecting my mac and PC with a Ethernet cable and sharing over a network. This seems like a really good and fast way of doing it. I have read many descriptions and watched many videos and they all pretty much give the same set of instructions.

Control panel > Network and sharing centre. > Change adapter settings > Local area connection > autoconfigoration IP, note down the IP.

I share a folder, everyone and guest read/write

Then on the Mac, Go > Connect to Server > smb:// and my IP or my computer name. > Connect.

But the mac hgives me this "This server may not exist or is unavailable at this time" and if I brows for networks there are non showing, both ethernet ports work fine and the cable is sound.

I tried trouble shooting and 

"Local Area Connection” dosen’t have a valid IP configuration

came up. I'm unsure if this is relavent but it dosnt sound too good.

I need to get this working before I can start using my computer so if anyone knows how or knows a good place to look that will give me a more complete description on how to understand setting up a network it would be much appreciated.

Edited by NeilCH, 24 April 2014 - 09:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

FAT32 is a file system.  The only place it comes into play is reading a drive attached to a machine.  When you network machines you do not need to worry about this as it is handled by the machine it is installed in.

What network equipment do you already own?  Router? Switch?

#3 NeilCH

NeilCH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

Yes originally I was just going to shift stuff with an external drive but then I found FAT32 had a 4GB file size limit so started to seek an alternative. I have a RJ45 Ethernet cable with gigabit ports on PC and Mac book pro and have connected them together but the mac cant seem to see the PC and I have this message on the PC when I trouble shoot: "Local Area Connection” dosen’t have a valid IP configuration

Edited by NeilCH, 24 April 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#4 NeilCH

NeilCH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

I got it working. It was a problem within the preference on the mac side. Very fast way to shift large files, seems much faster than the firewire and direct too.

Edited by NeilCH, 25 April 2014 - 09:13 AM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

I got it working. It was a problem within the preference on the mac side. Very fast way to shift large files, seems much faster than the firewire and direct too.

Glad you got it figured out.

Yes, Gigabit will transfer faster than Firewire (either "original recipe" Firewire 400 or "extra crispy" Firewire 800, although Firewire 800 will be close) and USB 2.0.

#6 NeilCH

NeilCH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

After a little testing it is for sure the firewall, the difficult thing is that the mac, if it has never been connected to the PC before, will not show the connection at all saying there's nothing there. Once it has been connected once it will show it in networks but if you try to connect it will say there is a problem which seems much better. I have never used the LAN and Ethernet always presuming it would be painfully slow but now I have started looking at NAS devices in a totally different light. I should say that I am using BitDefender for reference. Thanks for the help guys.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

I have never used the LAN and Ethernet always presuming it would be painfully slow but now I have started looking at NAS devices in a totally different light.

An NAS with Gigabit ethernet is a great backup device…but also works very well for additional storage. I use a Netgear ReadyNAS with 4 drives set in what is basically a RAID 5 array. I use it to backup both my Macs using Time Machine as well as manually for certain specific files. I also use it to store files that I might want to access from multiple computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users