Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad drive cable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

For those that read these forums to learn I thought I would write up a recent issue I had.

The issue started with a drive failing in my machine.  I started getting SMART errors in Windows that the drive should be backed up and replaced.  Since most of my drives are copies of my DVDs data loss isn't an issue so I ignored the issue.  I ordered a replacement drive and pulled the problem drive from my machine.

As always seems to happen, when I was working on that issue I caused another issue.  Since I have a dozen drives in my machine and most are all the same size I had to find the drive.  While looking for the drive I was lazy and didn't pull the cables before pulling the drives out far enough to verify the manufacturer to pull the correct drive.  I broke the SATA connector on the expansion card I purchased to add four additional drives and broke another 90 degree SATA cable on the drive end.  I replaced the 90 degree cable with a straight cable from my spares and ordered four meter long SATA cables to go to the expansion card.

The SATA cables arrived and installed them and my machine started taking 20 minutes to boot.  I updated my BIOS and no change.  So, I ordered a new SATA expansion card, same make and model of what I currently had installed, thinking that perhaps the broken connector was causing my issue.

The new SATA expansion card (If you're looking to add additional SATA drives I highly recommend this card) arrived and installed it yesterday.  I had the same issue after installing the new card.  Next I thought perhaps I had an issue with a drive, a previous boot had an issue "installing" a drive.  So, I disconnected the SATA cable from all of the drives except one and booted, normal boot.  I shut down and connected a second drive and booted, normal boot.  I shut down and connected the third drive and booted, boot hung the same as before.  I cut power to the machine and connected the third drive to the four cable and boot, normal boot.  I did not move the cable to a known working port yet, but the odds of having two different cards with the same issue are very high.

Hopefully people can learn from my mistakes.  Remove cables before pulling hardware so that you don't damage your equipment or your cables.

Edited by RKilroy, 24 April 2014 - 08:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the reminder about cable length awareness.  It's an easy thing to forget when removing components.

I have a couple Sata hot-swap racks installed to save time swapping HDD's which also eliminates potential cable connection issues.

Also, thanks for that link.  Good idea for an expansion Bd.

"Kilroy was definitely here" :)

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

yes, those sata connectors are sensitive. i bent one at the hard drive receptacle and next thing i knew the drive wasn't communicating. luckily, the sata cables are inexpensive hardware so it was an easy fix.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users