Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Date/ Time Issues - Please Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DaniB

DaniB

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

Hello,

Over the past few days a really kind expert from the Safer Networking Forums, Malware Removal forum  (Post = http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?70467-Possible-Virus-Please-Help) has been supporting me in sorting out my dad's PC.

The PC is a HP Pavilion Slimline desktop with Windows Vista installed.  Before seeking assistance I reset the PC back to factory settings.

The symptoms are:

- Windows will not update
- The date/ time will not synchronise with the online date/ time services
- Websites cannot be viewed as the security certificate message keeps popping up
- The HP w 1907v monitor drivers keep crashing, I think because the drivers will not update

The expert from the Safer Networking Forums removed an infected file and then suggested that I move to a Windows forum for further advice on the other issues.

I have looked into changing the 3 volt battery and bought one; however, I understand that if the battery runs out serious problems arise; so, is it OK to just remove the old battery and add a new one?

Will anything happen to Windows/ BIOS in the period when the old battery is removed and before the new battery is added?

Can any Windows experts add further advise about these issues or replacing the 3 volt battery please?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

You can remove the cmos battery without causing any harm, it will reset your time and date. You will need to manually set the clock either in the bios or from windows by clicking on the clock in the system tray (bottom right corner by default). The cmos battery stores settings in the bios including the time/clock. If the cmos battery is dead, when the computer is unplugged from the wall the bios resets, the clock will reset along with any other settings that were changed from default values. It should not cause any harm.

While you have the case open, I recommend dusting the computer out with canned air, be careful not to bump any components, then check for blown or bulging capacitors, sometimes these will cause crashes. Examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+or+bulging+motherboard+capacitors&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ewVZU9bnCsmK2QXKiYHgCw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1272&bih=734

If you have any blown or bulging capacitors it is generally recommended you replace the mainboard or replace the machine. In most cases bad caps cause instability, crashes or complete failure of the component with the bad caps.

Edited by zingo156, 24 April 2014 - 07:40 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hi DaniB. Is there a particular reason you didn't take up the suggestion of the MVP who has been assisting you? Seems he is also a member at the forum he mentioned, and will continue to assist you there.

We will be happy to offer advice, but getting input from multiple forums can sometimes be confusing.

Zingo posted his response as I was typing mine up. As zingo indicates, replacing a BIOS data backup battery won't affect Windows itself at all, and while It is possible that the BIOS settings may change back to factory defaults - often this is how they were anyway, if so there will be no noticeable effect on the operation of the computer. As well as setting the correct time and date, if your system used any specific BIOS settings like boot device sequence or having a SATA interface use IDE emulation mode, those settings would need to be chosen again in the BIOS setup.

The suggestion to look for bad capacitors is a good one for any computer showing erratic behavior.

Edited by Platypus, 24 April 2014 - 07:50 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 DaniB

DaniB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

Thanks zingo156 and Platypus; your support is appreciated.

Re:

Is there a particular reason you didn't take up the suggestion of the MVP who has been assisting you? Seems he is also a member at the forum he mentioned, and will continue to assist you there

The MVP has been sent a link to this post.  I did try to follow the MVP's advice, but unfortunately I'm not receiving the account validation emails from the forum and I have had difficulty sorting it out as unvalidated members can't send PM's or post, and I could not find an admin email address.  I also have limited time.

Thanks.

Edit: The validation issue was down to me and not whatthetech.com.  The MVP has suggested that I continue to get advice here.

So, before I attempt to change the battery on my dad's PC does anyone have an opinion on whether the combined symptoms could be something in Vista rather than the PC battery please?  Or, do the update/ date and time/ website certificate problems definately point to needing a new 3 volt battery?

Thanks.

Edited by DaniB, 24 April 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

Both the update problems and the website certificate most likely are tied to the time and date being incorrect. I have seen this many times. If the time and date is off, change it to the correct date. When the computer is plugged into the wall and has power, the cmos should retain the time, as soon as it is unplugged it will reset. I would recommend replacing the cmos battery if when you unplug the computer, the bios resets.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 DaniB

DaniB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Thank you Zingo156.

The forum gave me the reassurance that I needed in order to go ahead.  So, I changed the battery, and now the PC works great - so far.

The date and time have finally synchronised; we can get on any site without security issues; Outlook will let us login without opening up tab after tab and all the updates are downloading.

The internals looked fine and I gave the PC a dust out; although, it was surprisingly dust free.

I will update you one last time and close the post once I have got all the service packs and software back on.

In the meantime, 'thank you' everyone for your support. 

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

You are welcome, happy computing!

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,680 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Sounds encouraging! Thanks for keeping us updated.

#9 DaniB

DaniB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

Hi all.

A final thanks for your support.

The battery change sorted the remaining issues after Ken545 from the Safer Networking Forums had removed the infected file.

Vista service pack 1 would not install through Windows Update, so I had to use the stand alone version.  Service service pack 2 went on fine and was installed by Windows update.

Everything looks fine now; so, I will close the topic.

Thanks again.

Edited by DaniB, 27 April 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,680 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

You're most welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users