Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External drive doesn't work no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 coralys

coralys

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:06 AM

Hi everybody,

Have a strange problem. I am using a 2.5 HDD external drive from Icy Box ( Raidsonic). A week ago did a full backup of my data before formating my PC. Had a trojan ( something called Nooncoup or something like it) could not get rid of it but in the process of running different antivirus did something strange to windows. Afterwards it kept jamming. So I did a back up on the ext drive and re installed everything. But when I plugged the ext drive, my computer could not see it. I thought it was a problem with my computer, maybe a driver problem so I plugged it into my son's computer who regularly uses the same drive. Nothing happened . When I plug it I do have the light that shows that it is working but nothing else. I have been reading in the forum about clicking noises, but mine doesn't make any, never has that I remember.

The only thing I can think of is that I unplugged it unsafely. Otherwise nothing happened to it. I did contact a company to recover my data but their price is impossible. I have done nothing so far as I did not want to mess it worst. Will only add that I am not computer literate. So all of this is new and difficult. Formating the hard drive ans installing windows was already huge.

Thank you for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

With the drive attached, go to Drive Management and look for the drive. Does it have a letter assigned to it? If not, right click the drive and add a letter to the drive. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/change-drive-letters-windows-7.htm

#3 coralys

coralys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

Thank you will try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users