Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AHCI Question?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:18 AM

I am about to take the leap putting an SSD HD in my Toshiba LT, I have some questions about AHCI.  It doe not show in the bios, it does (Using SIW) show listed in the PCI section as AHCI 1.0.  Is it a reasonably correct assumption  That it is easily activated?  My plan is to by a New series Intel 120 SSD, use Intels migration tool to copy my spinner onto the SSD.  Being as this will not be a fresh install how do I get AHCI to work?  I would like to retain the Toshiba factory restore that is on the spinner, once up and running I would do a restore which may or may not load AHCI.  Then load my program and retrieve my data off the spinner.  All thoughts appreciated looking for an easy transition.  I know from poking around AHCI would be loaded by the OS during a fresh install, with a fresh install I will lose the restore partition.

Phil   

Edited by OldPhil, 24 April 2014 - 12:41 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

OldPhil,

Here is a link that explains how to switch from IDE to AHCI after Windows is installed:

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-8-after-installation/

You have to do this BEFORE making any change in the BIOS or your system will bluescreen.

Sometimes the setting is hard to find in the BIOS, but you're looking for a reference to SATA configuration or mode.  Entering SATA mode will show the options of IDE or AHCI (or in some cases RAID).  Simply select AHCI then save and boot.

Caveat: If your system is too old you will not have AHCI available to you, only IDE (I had this limitation on an older 775 board/Core2 Duo system).  If you have Windows 7 or newer you will still reap the benefits of an SSD with only a small performance hit, so I think it's still worth it.  There is a huge debate as to whether or not Trim is enabled in IDE mode but I side with the experts that say it is.  WinXP also benefits from the upgrade but Trim is not natively supported.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

The LT is new enough to have AHCI and Sata3, my concern is finding an easy pathway to save the factory restore to the SSD.  My end game is to get a full mirror up and running properly then do a factory reset and reload my programs and pull my files off this drive.  I will do a full backup prior to doing anything I have a few drives to play with.  This way if I do have an issue down the road I can fall back to factory.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users