Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding a ISP in my area

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

So, I am moving, to an area that according to the site http://broadbandmap.gov/ is under coverage of DSL, cable, copper etc. etc.  I use Time Warner for internet now, Cable connection (because there are no other options), and TWC conformed it yesterday to me, that they do not have service in my development but across the street they do.  (I suspect that the developer will not pay to run the cables 1/4 mi to the development, and TWC will not do it for free until there are X amount of units in the development).

So where can I find my options at for an ISP at least 10 or higher strength. 

Also, using a service like Clearwire, are they fast enough for multi-use browsing and XBL online gaming?

Any experiences with them, or DSP or other non-Cable style connections?

For reference I live and will be staying in Central Texas.

thanks

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TonyinTexas

TonyinTexas

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

I live in McAllen Texas  For a year i used Verison hotspot for my internet connection. But the 10G package only lasted me 3 weeks usually and was expensive to me  at 95.00 plus tax. So I bit the bullet and hooked in with TWC. Cut my bill in half  with same connection speed but unlimited access.

For your development to get up to speed, you might need to do some neghborhood promotion to get a hard wire connection going. In the meantime hotspot or Satellite may be the only way to connect.  Check out the RV World Forum  or anything that talks about Motor home travel and see what the members there recommend for connecting from one area to another

#3 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:55 PM

good advice, never thought about RVs.... thanks.  I have TWC right now, it sucks because I am in a big city, off I35 and have lived in the area before.  TWC is there, just not in my devolpment.  Behind me, across the street etc, they have it. 

It would be understood if I was in the boondocks but that is not the case.... but anyway thank you

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

One option might be to talk to one of those neighbors and ask if you could add your router to their cable modem??  At least until they run your lines across the street.

#5 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:25 AM

In the sub division I will be in seems everyone has Direct TV or Dish, so I would assume that were all in the same boat.  The area across the main road is connected.  But its worth a try, again thanks for the advice.

CZARBOOM 

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

When all else fails, satelite ISP can be available from Hughes.  DirecTV has been better HD than cable and the tiers are better arranged for sports and entertainment packages.  Whole house with three sets and different feeds can run over $120. easily and HD is a bit more for each set. 

#7 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:38 AM

yeah I was thinking that and Clearwire.  They package them together.  Never had DirectTv.  So how do they charge.  Meaning what is in the Basic HD?  Do local channels come with that? 

thanks

CZARBOOM 

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

The basic HD setup would be all the local channels along with shopping and networks like USA, TBS, WGN.  Then tiers can be added for sports of your choice and movie channels(premium).  The HD is an added $10-15. per set over the SD offerings.  Boxes with multiple channel recording add to the monthly rate.  Our local broadcasters have added multiple channels to their original programming and some have even picked up cable network offerings and rebroadcasting them.  ION and WE are two newest.  For a single HD set with two tiers of sports runs near $100.  Beware of new offerings that come with FREE HBO, Cinemax, Encore  for three months, as they will not remind you when the offering runs out, they just start charging you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users