Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Help for an Idiot?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 groverdot

groverdot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

Hi, I was wondering if somebody could help me out with a problem I'm having. I'm absolute bleep w/ computers.

Basically, I stupidly downloaded something off of the internet, proceeded to trash it, but now my internet browsing is infected.

E.g. 

Screen+Shot+2014-04-23+at+8.58.08+PM.png

This is my screen right now. After downloading that crap I get these blank "Ads by Vidx" things on EVERY page. I click on "Hide these ads" but they don't go away. In addition, I get random phrases linked and pointed to with green arrows that take you to ads such as the one on "computer problem" on almost every page. Also, when I click on links in my Gmail, it takes two clicks because the first one almost always takes me to another ad. Sometimes I'll just click on a random space on a website and it'll take me to an ad that pertains solely to the website content. 

Does anyone know how to get rid of this? I've got Adblock Plus. I've tried OpenDNS and ClamXav and nothing seems to be working.

FYI I'm on the latest Mountain Lion w/ Google Chrome. 

Thanks for any and all help. I'm really desperate here. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Sounds like some adware of some sort.

Does that same thing happen in Safari? This will tell us if it is a Chrome specific thing or some more general thing.

Assuming it is a Chrome thing...

Have you tried the "Clear Browsing Data" from the Chrome menu?

The other thing is to check the Chrome Extensions and remove any you do not recognize or even all of them:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/113907?hl=en

And as a last resort you could try uninstalling Chrome and re-installing it:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en

#3 groverdot

groverdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Sounds like some adware of some sort.

Does that same thing happen in Safari? This will tell us if it is a Chrome specific thing or some more general thing.

Assuming it is a Chrome thing...

Have you tried the "Clear Browsing Data" from the Chrome menu?

The other thing is to check the Chrome Extensions and remove any you do not recognize or even all of them:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/113907?hl=en

And as a last resort you could try uninstalling Chrome and re-installing it:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en

No, Safari's clean. Nothing wrong with it at all. Haha I'm mediocre enough to know to clear the browsing data. Did that already twice. Didn't work twice :P I'll try your other two suggestions then. Thanks so much!

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

From a brief Google search, it seems that the Extension route might solve it, but we will not know for sure until you try it.

#5 groverdot

groverdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

From a brief Google search, it seems that the Extension route might solve it, but we will not know for sure until you try it.

Holy bleep it worked!! I've been searching for hours for malware, adware protection stuff and all I had to do was that. Unreal. Yeah, it was just a "Vidx" extension that I had to remove. Honestly, I wasn't being too lazy to do a Google search on my own, I guess it's just that I was searching for the wrong things. Thank you so so much!

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

Glad to help.

FWIW, this is the Google search I used (although I suspected Extensions prior to the search):

"ads by vidx chrome mac"

#7 RMax

RMax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

I'm sure I'm less informed than the guy asking the question, but Fred Langa probably isn't.  Would this article help?

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/a-dozen-tools-for-removing-almost-any-malware/

#8 groverdot

groverdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

Yeah I didn't include Vidx in my searches as I thought it was just a random pop up "thing". Good to know though, thanks for the info. I'll bear it in mind for the future. 

I'm sure I'm less informed than the guy asking the question, but Fred Langa probably isn't.  Would this article help?

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/a-dozen-tools-for-removing-almost-any-malware/

Definitely a good article (for my interest), but all of it's info was PC exclusive. I have a feeling that that those applications might not have worked anyways because none of the Mac-specific antivirus/adware software I download recognized the extension as an "infection" either. 

#9 prsnlbst

prsnlbst

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

Thank you I found the problem to my adware in Google Extensions!!!  So happy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users