Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Puppy for video?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Having a lot of fun messing around with Puppy 5.7.1 on my old laptop, which only has 768MB of RAM and a 1.8GHz CPU, and doesn't boot from USB. I have a tower of CDs that I have no other use for, so have decided to make several live Puppy CDs for different purposes, in order to keep each installation small. I have one for browsing the internet on which I have transferred my hundreds of bookmarks and downloaded all of the SeaMonkey extentions I want, another CD for ClamAV and another one for F-Prot, the latter two being works in progress.

What this laptop does better using XP though, is play videos. Using SeaMonkey on Puppy, BBCi is not too bad, but youtube is terrible on fullscreen. I tried upgrading the graphics using the built-in facility, but that didn't make any noticeable difference, other than offering higher screen resolutions. I also tried the Chromium browser, which played videos better than SeaMonkey, but still not as well as Chrome on XP. Installing Chromium on Puppy also took up one-third of the available space, and after the computer had been running for a few hours, the icon in the system tray that indicates how much storage space is left turned red.

What I would like to do is create a CD for the sole purpose of watching videos, to see if I can get live Linux to do it better than XP. So I am wondering if anyone knows of anything I can do with Puppy 5.7.1 that I haven't mentioned to optimise it for playing videos, or if there is s diffferent version of Puppy or another Puppy-sized live operating system that plays videos better?

Edited by Al1000, 23 April 2014 - 05:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Have you tried XBMC Multi media player. Click menu/Multimedia XBMC

2cpw4f5.png

tried upgrading the graphics using the built-in facility, but that didn't make any noticeable difference, other than offering higher screen resolutions. I also tried the Chromium browser, which played videos better than SeaMonkey, but still not as well as Chrome on XP.

I have the same problem on nowvideo

For youtube I use gtk youtube viewer Its in PPM.

2i12fic.png

Installing Chromium on Puppy also took up one-third of the available space, and after the computer had been running for a few hours, the icon in the system tray that indicates how much storage space is left turned red.

Did you create a small save file?

Click on menu/Utility/Resize Personal Storage that will allow you to make it bigger.

Clear the browser cache. Etc

Try bleach bit its in PPM.

Edited by NickAu1, 23 April 2014 - 11:27 PM.

#3 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:50 AM

Many thanks for all your advice.

I don't seem to have XBMC, the only media player in that menu is Gnome-Mplayer.

I can't seem to use the resize personal storage space facility as the savefile is on a multi-session CD, and I recall when I tried to create a savefile on a USB stick that there was a kernel error when I tried to boot up. But I appear to have been mistaken as to what the personal storage space icon refers to. When I boot the computer and hover the pointer over the icon, it says ''298M Personal Storage, Free Space 297M,'' and after for instance configuring Package Manager and updating SSL as per your advice in the other thread, the Free Space had dropped to 208M. But, after saving and rebooting the computer, it went back up again to 297M. So that doesn't seem to be a problem like I thought it was.

gtk youtube viewer looks like it will do the trick. I installed it, and got sound but no picture. I upgraded the graphics agan (because I didn't save after I upgraded them last time), but still no picture. I ran the viewer from a terminal, and this is what it said:

# gtk-youtube-viewer

* Initialising threads...

mplayer: could not connect to socket

mplayer: No such file or directory

Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file:

No such file or directory

While I was messing about trying to get it to work I accidentally discovered that if I double click on a video more than once, the subsequent windows that open contain the picture! So I can watch videos by opening two windows, then closing the first one.

However when I increase the size of the mplayer window, the window increases in size just fine, but the size of the video remains the same. The only way I have got it to work in full screen mode is by first double clicking on a video not in full screen mode, then switching on full screen mode and double clicking the video again, but the video is still small in full screen mode, and of course it means there is another video running in a window underneath.

I had a look in the mplayer preferences, and tried all of the options in the list for ''video output,'' but that didn't make any difference.

I am guessing that the size of the video, and how it only works after I open more than one mplayer window, are two separate issues.

#4 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

hi Al1000,

a few programs for puppy precise you may be intrested in 

quickpet ..http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83642.. has xbmc gtkyoutube viewer smtube and lots of other stuff

getiplayergui...http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73497... for iplayer

for youtube in the browser .. if you're using firefox install the greasemonkey addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/

and then install this viewtube script http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/87011

it will play youtube videos embedded in the browser using mplayer

for more puppy info & help visit the forum   ...http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php....

Edited by 666philb, 24 April 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#5 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for all those links. I'll take a look through them.

I've solved the problem with video by using Lucid Puppy 5.8. It doesn't seem to be entirely compatible with this old laptop, as the desktop was much bigger than the monitor to begin with and the utility for fixing it said that the chip isn't supported, but X video wizard did the trick and it seems to work just fine. I downloaded GTK youtube viewer, and it works just fine as well.

Saving a savefile on a USB stick also worked, so I have no problem with storage space now. As I transferred the sfs and other files from the CD to USB, it boots up in no time too!

Edited by Al1000, 24 April 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

Greasemonkey for youtube.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530567/viewtube-for-greasemonkey/

#7 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

Words cannot describe how impressed I am with Lucid Puppy. Everything Precise Puppy should do in theory, but I can't get to do in practice (yet), Lucid does just fine. I've used dual monitors on my desktop pc before, but this is the first OS I've ever tried that has two desktops on the same monitor.

Unfortunately though my laptop just isn't really up to the job. Lucid Puppy runs fine for a while, then it starts ''saving RAM'' to the save file, and has so far frozen up three times, leaving me with no option other than to press the reset button. So I'm back with Precise Puppy, although I reckon Lucid will be ok for occasional light use. Although I haven't actually tried it with any browser other than Firefox, so I'll maybe see if I can find a lighter one that uses less system resources

I am half considering upgrading the RAM on this laptop, but the most it can take is 1GB and it already has 768MB. While I would expect some improvement, I don't know if that would make enough of a difference, and Precise Puppy works fine as it is.

BTW, what is the advantage of using GreaseMonkey? Although clicking on youtube pages initially brings up an error message about a missing plug-in (which I assume would be Adobe Flash Player), the warning message disappears and the video plays (as well as I would expect on this laptop), and I haven't installed Flash Player.

Edited by Al1000, 25 April 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#8 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:39 AM

I'm now trying out Slacko Puppy to see what it's like. It seems pretty similar to Lucid Puppy but not quite as slick looking, although it has four desktops and opposed to Lucid's two and Precise's single desktop.

I have noticed it also ''saves RAM'' to the save file, so I researched the internet and found out that Slacko and Lucid do this and Precise doesn't, because I have the save file for the former two on a USB and the latter is a multi-session CD. Apparently it does this not because it's running out of RAM, but because it's set up to behave like a full installation. So it seems unnecessary, and is on a timer at Menu/System/Puppy Event Manager and can easily be switched off. So I switched it off on Slacko, and will now do the same with Lucid and see how I get on with it again.

I have been unable to find a version of GTK youtube viewer for Slacko 5.8, and installed an older version for Slacko 5.4 which was the closest I could find. Unfortunately it doesn't work though, so now I have to figure out how to uninstall it.

Edited by Al1000, 26 April 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#9 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

Just to update this thread, after trying out Lucid and Slacko Puppy, I'm back using Precise most of the time. I have also now noticed that it has three desktops, not one, as I hadn't fully realised what those three boxes on the taskbar are. Multiple desktops are a neat idea.

I have also now discovered the System Information feature. Even on Lucid Puppy with a few tabs open in Firefox with a youtube video playing in one of them, the system uses less than 300MB of RAM! Unfortunately Slacko is prone to freezing up on this laptop just like Lucid is, but whatever the reason is I guess it isn't lack of RAM. Precise Puppy seems much more reliable in this respect, which is the main reason I've decided to stick with it.

I started (yet) again with a fresh installation, after realising that the reason the savefile didn't work on the USB the first time I tried it, was the USB stick. It's an old 1GB CIBOX stick that shows up as a CDROM in XP for some reason, but the savefiles work fine on my newer 16GB SanDisk USB. So I now have a savefile for Precise on USB instead of a multisession CD, so no shortage of storage space. :)

As for video, I have added a plugin to SeaMonkey that downloads youtube videos, created a separate folder for downloads on the USB, and installed VLC media player which plays anything I throw at it, full screen, as smoothly as could be!

I searched XBMC in Package Manager, but there were several files with that name, and I wasn't sure which one was the media player, so I just downloaded VLC as that's what I've been using for years on my desktop pc.

Overall, I am really impressed with Puppy. Running XP, the paging file on this laptop is often bigger than the 768MB RAM, whereas Puppy does it all using less than 300MB of the actual RAM. The touchpad on this laptop was also ultra-sensitive in Puppy, then I discovered that I could adjust it or disable it altogether, whereas to merely disable it in XP would require installing an additional 3rd party driver. It's quite amazing how much such a tiny operating system does.

Edited by Al1000, 27 April 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#10 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

once you've installed greasemonkey .... you then need to visit the viewtube link posted earlier ...http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/87011... and then click the 'install' button at the top of that page.

Edited by 666philb, 28 April 2014 - 03:19 AM.

#11 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:42 AM

I realised that the version of Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 that I tried was released in 2011, and am now trying out 5.2.8.005. According to someone on another forum, the earlier releases had bugs. This version seems to be the best Puppy for videos on this computer that I've tried so far.

I still don't understand what the point of greasemonkey is. With a fresh installation of Lucid Puppy, the only thing I installed was Firefox 24.0 using Package Manager, and I was able to watch videos on youtube. So I can confirm that neither greasemonkey or Adobe Flash Player is needed to watch youtube videos with Firefox on Lucid Puppy.

The only plug-in I installed to Firefox is NoScript, and I noticed that youtube videos play when I allow script from googlevideo.com.

Edited by Al1000, 07 May 2014 - 06:44 AM.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Al1000, I think from experience that you could run Lucid well if it were to your HDD, as I had trouble running many distro's with 1gig of RAM from a usb.  The only one that I could run was Lucid but my system is a little more robust than yours so I think the same apply's.  I started  with the LM17's and then to Lucid going down.  Most would run from CD but not from usb-seemingly needing more ram to do so.  Once I increased RAM I was able to run the LM17's from usb/ram.  Not to repeat, but from my experience you should test from CD for a good estimate of what would run on your system in HDD.  Please tell me your thoughts.

Also since you have been doing so much of this maybe you can clarify something for me.  I want to understand if I can run a puppy from usb and write all save files to that usb and not to the HDD, is this possible or are all considered "frugal" I don't know lol.  I find it hard to find info. that is so spread out and given by so many different people you don't know what you are getting.   

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

Al1000, I think from experience that you could run Lucid well if it were to your HDD, as I had trouble running many distro's with 1gig of RAM from a usb. The only one that I could run was Lucid but my system is a little more robust than yours so I think the same apply's. I started with the LM17's and then to Lucid going down. Most would run from CD but not from usb-seemingly needing more ram to do so. Once I increased RAM I was able to run the LM17's from usb/ram. Not to repeat, but from my experience you should test from CD for a good estimate of what would run on your system in HDD. Please tell me your thoughts.

If I'm not mistaken, your particular problem was that you were trying to run 64 bit OSs with only 1GB of RAM. All of the main 32 bit versions of Puppy I've tried work on this laptop, and I have not had any problems with instability since I created a swap partition on the HDD.

Any particular version of Puppy should need and use the same amount of RAM, whether you run it from CD, USB or HDD.

Also since you have been doing so much of this maybe you can clarify something for me. I want to understand if I can run a puppy from usb and write all save files to that usb and not to the HDD, is this possible or are all considered "frugal" I don't know lol. I find it hard to find info. that is so spread out and given by so many different people you don't know what you are getting.

Can you clarify what you mean by ''all the save files''? Assuming you are talking about installing or running one version of Puppy, rather than multiple versions, there should only be one save file (if you selected the option to create one).

A frugal installation means that Puppy is installed to a folder. If you have a frugal installation, you would have installed Puppy after booting up your computer with it, by running the installer and selecting the ''frugal'' install option.

One problem I have noticed with frugal installations is that sometimes Puppy creates the save file outside of the folder where the other Puppy files have been installed, and doesn't find the file on boot up. All you have to do if this happens, is to move the save file to inside the folder where the other Puppy files are, reboot, and Puppy should find it no problem.

(Note: when moving files in Puppy using the drag and drop method, always select ''copy'' then delete the original after it's finished copying, and never select the ''move'' option)

Running Puppy from USB or CD, by simply downloading the ISO, burning it to CD or USB and booting up your computer, is not a frugal installation, regardless of whether you create a save file. If you do create a save file, you can put it on the HDD or USB.

So if you can clarify whether you have a frugal installation or not, I might be able to advise further.

Edited by Al1000, 23 July 2014 - 06:38 AM.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

Al1000, I think from experience that you could run Lucid well if it were to your HDD, as I had trouble running many distro's with 1gig of RAM from a usb. The only one that I could run was Lucid but my system is a little more robust than yours so I think the same apply's. I started with the LM17's and then to Lucid going down. Most would run from CD but not from usb-seemingly needing more ram to do so. Once I increased RAM I was able to run the LM17's from usb/ram. Not to repeat, but from my experience you should test from CD for a good estimate of what would run on your system in HDD. Please tell me your thoughts.

If I'm not mistaken, your particular problem was that you were trying to run 64 bit OSs with only 1GB of RAM. All of the main 32 bit versions of Puppy I've tried work on this laptop, and I have not had any problems with instability since I created a swap partition on the HDD.  No, I do not believe that 64bit had anything to do with it, it was a bad ISO downloaded from a bad internet connection, along with a bad download of Google Chrome.  And I was not trying this on a USB as you seemed to be saying.  If you think I am wrong I will load one up and try it out.

I should have been more clear, I could only run a puppy from usb, and not the LM17 series.  LM17 would however run from CD well but slow, probably normal.  

Any particular version of Puppy should need and use the same amount of RAM, whether you run it from CD, USB or HDD.

Also since you have been doing so much of this maybe you can clarify something for me. I want to understand if I can run a puppy from usb and write all save files to that usb and not to the HDD, is this possible or are all considered "frugal" I don't know lol. I find it hard to find info. that is so spread out and given by so many different people you don't know what you are getting.

Can you clarify what you mean by ''all the save files''? Assuming you are talking about installing or running one version of Puppy, rather than multiple versions, there should only be one save file (if you selected the option to create one).  No, I just seemed to remember seeing a LuPu file on HDD while running that puppy.  That's good enough, you answered my question, only frugal if that is what is chosen.

A frugal installation means that Puppy is installed to a folder. If you have a frugal installation, you would have installed Puppy after booting up your computer with it, by running the installer and selecting the ''frugal'' install option.

One problem I have noticed with frugal installations is that sometimes Puppy creates the save file outside of the folder where the other Puppy files have been installed, and doesn't find the file on boot up. All you have to do if this happens, is to move the save file to inside the folder where the other Puppy files are, reboot, and Puppy should find it no problem.

(Note: when moving files in Puppy using the drag and drop method, always select ''copy'' then delete the original after it's finished copying, and never select the ''move'' option)  Here you say the drag and drop but then you say to "select" "copy", I'm guessing you mean just select copy>delete>then paste.  Drag drop would be DIFFERENT than always select "copy" these are two different operations?  I get what you are saying though and this is a big help as I was trying to do just this recently.

Running Puppy from USB or CD, by simply downloading the ISO, burning it to CD or USB and booting up your computer, is not a frugal installation, regardless of whether you create a save file. If you do create a save file, you can put it on the HDD or USB.

So if you can clarify whether you have a frugal installation or not, I might be able to advise further.  I don't know what the heck I have lol.  I have Fatdog and hate it.  Every time I "Quit" it asks me where I want my "Save" files to go to dev this or dev that lol.  It's all good, I am going another route for now.  Give me your opinion though if you like as to Fatdog64-601 if you have used it.  

I have already made a LMMQ17 USB Installation for a backup.  This way I always have something that I am familiar with that I can fall back on.  I am going to play around with another LuPu at some point as I like that one.

Question:  I want to know why when I play video to my tv via HDMI I do not get any sound.  There is a free website that I like to watch amaproracing.com motorcycle races, but no sound except for my laptop.  I do not know where to post these things, Linux or in the regular forums under the appropriate heading?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

No, I do not believe that 64bit had anything to do with it, it was a bad ISO downloaded from a bad internet connection, along with a bad download of Google Chrome. And I was not trying this on a USB as you seemed to be saying. If you think I am wrong I will load one up and try it out.

I should have been more clear, I could only run a puppy from usb, and not the LM17 series. LM17 would however run from CD well but slow, probably normal.

I have no idea why you couldn't run the same operating system from USB that you could run from CD, but I don't see what it would have to do with RAM.

Any full Linux distro will work much slower from CD than it would from HDD. Puppy is the exception, because no matter if it's on CD, USB or the HDD, the whole thing loads into RAM on boot up. So one it's booted up, it should work at the same speed no matter what media you booted from.

I have never used a 64 bit OS, but AFAIK 1GB of RAM isn't enough. Whereas 1GB of RAM is sufficient for any major 32 bit OS, and plenty for a 32 bit Puppy.

Here you say the drag and drop but then you say to "select" "copy", I'm guessing you mean just select copy>delete>then paste. Drag drop would be DIFFERENT than always select "copy" these are two different operations? I get what you are saying though and this is a big help as I was trying to do just this recently.

You seem to be describing drag and drop on Windows, but it's different on Puppy. When you try to drag and drop a file on Puppy from one directory in one window, to another directory in another window; you are presented with two options: 1) copy, and 2) move.

What I'm saying is that when you are presented with these two options, choose ''copy'' rather than ''move,'' then delete the original file that you just copied after that if you want to. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it, but I was told that this is important on the Puppy forum. I have noticed that to ''copy'' a file takes a lot longer than to ''move'' it, so assume that ''move'' doesn't actually move the whole file, and will lead to it being fragmented.

I don't know what the heck I have lol.

Well unless you ran the installer, Puppy isn't installed.

I have Fatdog and hate it. Every time I "Quit" it asks me where I want my "Save" files to go to dev this or dev that lol. It's all good, I am going another route for now. Give me your opinion though if you like as to Fatdog64-601 if you have used it.

I have never used fatdog so unfortunately I don't know anything about it.

I have already made a LMMQ17 USB Installation for a backup. This way I always have something that I am familiar with that I can fall back on. I am going to play around with another LuPu at some point as I like that one.

I'm pleased to hear you're getting along with it. As I mentioned Puppy works just as well running it from a CD or USB as it does from the HDD. It's also easier to run it from a USB or CD rather than to install it, so it might be best to stick with running it from a CD or USB until you become more familiar with it.

Question: I want to know why when I play video to my tv via HDMI I do not get any sound. There is a free website that I like to watch amaproracing.com motorcycle races, but no sound except for my laptop. I do not know where to post these things, Linux or in the regular forums under the appropriate heading?

I've never even heard of the term ''HDMI'' until now. I would post this in the relevant forum for whatever OS you are using; e,g, if it's Mint 17 then start a new thread in the ''Linux and Unix'' section of the forum.

The only thing I can suggest is to search the internet for the command, to start whatever application you are using from the Terminal, since starting it that way often lists any errors that occur.

For instance, if it's VLC media player you're using, you would search the internet for ''command to start VLC media player in Linux Terminal,'' and you would find the command is simply ''vlc.'' So all you do is open a terminal, and type:

vlc
into it, press return/Enter on your keyboard, and the media player will start up just the same as if you had selected it from the menu.

So if you do that for whatever media player you are using, and post any error messages that are displayed in the Terminal when you play a video on your TV, that might give folk here a better idea of what the problem might be.

Edited by Al1000, 23 July 2014 - 05:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users