Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If I Change My Browser

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:29 AM

I was just wondering?

At the moment I am running Windows XP Media Edition on my new PC, and it’s only been a month now and ive already had problems with Trojans / Viruses Etc

My question (from a computer newbie) is this….if I changed my Browser to say FireFox , would I have less of a problem with Viruses and Trojans Etc…?
Thanks ………. Mypenry

( sorry if this queston is in the wrong section ..? )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:36 AM

Yes, you would.
Changing your default brower from IE to Firefox or Opera will definately help you to stop gettin viruses and trojans. However, the bests thing to use to stop them is-
  • Regularly scan your PC using and antivirus (once a week)
  • Use several anti-spyware programs and scan with each of these at least once a week.
  • Use a firewall.
  • Use common sense! Think before you download things off the internet. Ask yourself whether there may be spyware or adware bundled with it.
  • Use another internet browser, such as Firefox or Opera, both of which are completely free.
Hope this helps,
Charles

Edited by rookie147, 21 May 2006 - 03:37 AM.

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:01 AM

Thanks rookie147..

I Will follow your advice , I would like to give another Browser a try , ( Use another internet browser, such as Firefox or Opera, both of which are completely free. ) is there some where i can get un biased info on FireFox and Opera .. ?

Thanks again ............ Mypenry

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:16 AM

You can do a google search and find lots of links for reviews of either Firefox or Opera like here.

ActiveX is the main security issue with IE which supports it by default, Firefox and Opera do not. When your browser runs an ActiveX control, it is running an executable program which is no different from double-clicking an .exe file on your hard drive.

If you set the Security Zones in IE to high for all but Trusted Sites then ActiveX will be disabled. You can block Java scripts via the Firefox browser by using the NoScript extension.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:22 AM

There have been many articles in technical/computer sites that compare IE to Ff or Opera (for example, PCWorld, CNet) that will show up on a search. These articles usually find either of the major alternative browsers to be better and certainly safer than IE6.
Either browser is relatively intuitive to use, but there is a learning curve involved in getting the most out of either. Since either is free, you can download both to see which you prefer.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:49 AM

Thanks guy's for the replys, I will give the browser change a go and post how I get on ...

Thanks ...........mypenry

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:21 AM

You cannot "change" your browser but you can download and use Firefox instead of IE for web surfing, etc.

Internet Explorer is inherently a part of Windows and cannot be uninstalled.
In addition, you must use IE for sites that require Active X such as Windows and other Microsoft software updates as well as most web based anti-virus/anti-malware scans.

Most of us here like Firefox better in many ways, but it is not exempt from exploits so be sure to keep it updated. You still need to take care in surfing as viruses, etc can still infect your computer while using Firefox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users