Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu and bios issues

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 andras

andras

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

hi all. i hope someone can help me here.
i have an ASUS M2V TVM motherboard that supports an am2 socket.
I had a sempron 3000 cpu installed but for some reason it stopped working.
I figured i needed a new cpu and decided to get the athlon 64x2 2200mhz. the manual says it supports it so why not.

Anyway i installed that and it was coming up with processor unknown revision at the post screen.
I figured i needed to update the bios but i couldn't get into windows to do that.
I tried updating the bios via a flash drive, cd etc but none worked. 
The pc dont have a floppy so that's out of the question.
I then decided to just buy another sempron, the same as the last one hoping i could atleast get online and flash the bios that way.
iv installed that and im getting the same issue as the first sempron. 
The pc isn't coming on at all. the motherboard kicks up, the fans etc are spinning but there's nothing coming up on the screen. im stumped.
the pc boots with the athlon cpu but still shows unknown revision and the os wont start iv tried 100s of instructions on booting a usb flash drive with asus update utility and the rom file.     it says getting ready to update do not turn off etc
then it says ERROR unable to open rom file. iv been trying to sort this for over a month now.

if i can get the semprons to work i can flash the bios for the athlon. Anyone know why its stopped working with sempron cpus?
it worked fine with a sempron before?  also does anyone know why im getting error unable to open rom file? Iv tried renaming it etc but nothings worked.
This is a nightmare :( 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

If you bought a brand new Sempron processor that is essentially (or actually) the same as the previous one and it does not work, then my first thought would be an issue with the motherboard itself. Are you able to test either Sempron (or the Athlon) processor on another motherboard?

Are you able to get into the BIOS at all?

Those are my only thoughts at the moment. Even if they don't help, maybe it will inspire someone else to post with some thoughts.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

I believe "Unknown revision" refers to the stepping version of the processor. If you check the CPU support for your motherboard, does the rev on your processors match the list? Depending on the revision, your BIOS may not support the CPU. ASUS has a EZFlash in BIOS that is the best way to flash the bios.

For a table on AMD CPU identification see this.link.

#4 andras

andras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:53 AM

If you bought a brand new Sempron processor that is essentially (or actually) the same as the previous one and it does not work, then my first thought would be an issue with the motherboard itself. Are you able to test either Sempron (or the Athlon) processor on another motherboard?

Are you able to get into the BIOS at all?

Those are my only thoughts at the moment. Even if they don't help, maybe it will inspire someone else to post with some thoughts.

I believe "Unknown revision" refers to the stepping version of the processor. If you check the CPU support for your motherboard, does the rev on your processors match the list? Depending on the revision, your BIOS may not support the CPU. ASUS has a EZFlash in BIOS that is the best way to flash the bios.

For a table on AMD CPU identification see this.link.

hello and thanks for your replies,

The sempron cpu worked well for a few months without any issues. Now the pc will boot but the monitor will stay off. This is the case with the old sempron and the new one i bought.

with the athlon cpu it will boot fine and im able to get into bios but i get this unknown revision message. The os starts to start then it reboots.   iv tried the ez flash (alt+f2 if im right)  but i wont pick up the cd, iv changed the boot order etc aswell. My best option i think is flashing the bios with a flash drive but i get this error unable to open rom file.

Unless its something silly thats stopping the semprons working. quite common with me tbh 

#5 andras

andras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:55 AM

Hello again. i just watched the video and this bios dont have the tools option. This bios version is 0301 :(

Edited by andras, 24 April 2014 - 03:56 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

The CD detection was fixed in BIOS Version  0406

M2V-TVM BIOS 0406
Add VIA patch for onboard VGA driver loss issue.
Fix ATI X1600/X1300 blue screen during system shutting down.
Fix the issue that PCIE X1 lan does not get correct IP address when installed in X1 slot.
Fix PRI_IDE Slot CD-ROM does not get detected during EZ-FLASH.

I looked at the manual for your motherboard and it looks like your BIOS does not have EZflash2, only the earlier EZflash. (Alt + F2) being the correct key combination. Being the older version, it may not support finding the BIOS update on a USB flash drive but it may be worth a try.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 April 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#7 andras

andras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

the sempron i used and the one i bought were identical Sempron 3000+ (SDA3000IAA3CN) am2 socket. The first one worked perfectly for months. Then for some reason i stopped getting the post beep and the monitor wasnt displaying anything. I replaced the ram btw (forgot to mention that) with 2x1gb and bought an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ - ADO4200IAA5DO. This boots and the bios recognises the cpu and the ram but im getting this unknown revision update bios error, I click f1 to continue and windows will start to boot but then stops and the pc restarts. 

I decided that if i bought a sempron identical to the one i thought had broke i could get into windows and update the bios the easy way. The problem is the new sempron is doing the same as the old one. the pc is booting. the fans are spinning etc but im not getting the post beep and the monitor isn't displaying anything.

So for some reason the semprons don't work anymore even though they are compatible. The athlon world but i get unknown revision.

One thing i have tried. I installed a hdd with linux mint pre-installed and it boots perfectly with the athlon. I understand thought the only y to flash the bios in linux is what iv been doing anyway.

Iv got it all set up on the flash drive but im getting error, unable to open rom file. Nightmare sad.gif nothing works

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

If it boots perfectly with Linux, then I would say something is wrong because of software and not hardware, especially because your Sempron worked at one time. Very strange problem. What is the OS that refuses to boot?

Edit: See 2.1.2 or the manual. Updating in DOS.

Download Rufus. It creates a FreeDOS bootable USB. In the drop down box of select bootable image pick FreeDos. Copy the ROM file to the Root of the USB along with afudos.exe. Boot the USB flash drive and issue the command.

afudos /ifilename.ROM

From what I saw in the manual, no space between /i and the filename of your ROM.

Note: Updating the BIOS could brick your computer if it goes bad.

rufus_en.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 April 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#9 andras

andras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

If it boots perfectly with Linux, then I would say something is wrong because of software and not hardware, especially because your Sempron worked at one time. Very strange problem. What is the OS that refuses to boot?

windows 7 ultimate mate.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

I wouldn't know where to start with that. Boots perfect in linux but not Windows 7.  Does the install disk of Windows 7 boot correctly?

#11 andras

andras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

I wouldn't know where to start with that. Boots perfect in linux but not Windows 7.  Does the install disk of Windows 7 boot correctly?

it gets so far and the screen goes funny with colored lines and it stalls. 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

it gets so far and the screen goes funny with colored lines and it stalls. 

I really do not know what to make of that. Does a Linux Install disk do the same thing? If it does, then it could be a video problem but I doubt that because it boots fine on a linux installed hard drive.  Other than that, I am out of ideas on this. Hopefully somebody else can add their thoughts to this.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 April 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#13 andras

andras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

Edit: See 2.1.2 or the manual. Updating in DOS.

Download Rufus. It creates a FreeDOS bootable USB. In the drop down box of select bootable image pick FreeDos. Copy the ROM file to the Root of the USB along with afudos.exe. Boot the USB flash drive and issue the command.

afudos /ifilename.ROM

From what I saw in the manual, no space between /i and the filename of your ROM.

Note: Updating the BIOS could brick your computer if it goes bad.

rufus_en.png

its rufus i use buddy. I get unable to open rom file :( everything iv try finds a new problem. If only linix made something simple for once. :( I think all linux versions are deliberately awkward. 

#14 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Did you ever clear the bios?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users