Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

what ssd, please advice

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

good evening to all,

please, i wish to know few things before i buy my first ssd for my pc

i need a very reliable ssd drive for multi track audio recording and video rendering

what is the expected life span of those ssd drives ?

i ask this because all the sata hard disks i had since now lasted only up to three years in the very best case

what about the data retention of the ssd  drive

what are the expected read and write speeds of those ssd drives

i have done a very little search and i found that the mushkin ssd 60 gb chronos have some very good read and write speeds 

many thanks in advance

Edited by nickko, 23 April 2014 - 01:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

SSDs are great for reads, not so much for writes.  Additionally the cost per GB is much higher than a mechanical drive.  As soon as you say video you should be looking for a mechanical drive, just due to the size of the files you will be working with.  Since SSDs are relatively new technology how long they will last and how many writes you can do is still much speculation.

Here's a good read Introducing the SSD Endurance Experiment.  Right now they are over 600TB of writes.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

Hi, not sure what sort of budget you currently have for the SSD but if you plan to do some serious heavy writing to the SSD, you may want to invest in a large capacity enterprise SSD but the main down side is it's huge cost.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

The just released Intels show good specs and now come with a three year warranty, My Intel is two years old so far shows no evil signs.  I am considering swapping out my LT's drive and have spend many hours reading about them OCZ is one anyone in the know would touch all others seem fine.  OCZ just went belly up and have been bought out so the line may show improvement.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

very good afternoon to all

i thank very much all who replied to my post

basically i need a drive with 60 to 120 gb with but with good write and read speeds

my only serious concern is the data reliability since the member bc advisor gave me a very good link regarding this matter among other things

it seems that ssd drives can write something like 300 terra of data so i have to calculate how much data my ssd drive will write  before it died

because i do a lot of video renderings (standard definition), and multi track recordings (96 khz @ 24 bits) i am not sure if an ssd drive will last more than a sata drive due to the large amount of data written

unfortunately my asus p8h61m-le motherboard does not support sata3 for better ssd perfoamce

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

You can easily achieve speeds of 500Mb/s+ on read and write SSD and as far as i'm aware, the new 730 series SSD from Intel seems rock solid reliable due to their awesome firmware. If your motherboard does not support SATA3, then i suppose so there is really no purpose in getting the absolute fastest SSD unless you either get a new motherboard or a separate SATA3 card.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'd recommend going as large as you can afford.  I'm running 120GB on my main machine and the only real software installed on it are Windows and World of WarCraft.  The smaller the drive the more time you're going to spend trying to clear up space.

Maximum PC is currently recommending the Samsung 840 Pro Series.

#8 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

I've ran a Samsung 840 250GB for over a year and found it to be just as reliable and fast as advertised (I wouldn't go any smaller the 128GB for your primary drive).  I use a 2TB platter drive for storage to get the best of all worlds and recommend the largest HDD you can afford since you're working with video and will need it.  BTW, with rare exceptions the larger the SSD the faster the performance.

Edited by compnovo, 24 April 2014 - 04:53 PM.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#9 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

good afternoon and many thanks to all for the kind replies

today at a local computer store the seller suggested me not to go for an ssd drive if my motherboard is not compatible with a sata3 

sata3 and ssd drive is the perfect combination with really great speeds but if i do not have a sata3 controller on my motherboard then it is better to stay with a sata2 hard disk like the western digital green series 500avds 500 gb drive or the western digital red nas 1 terra

#10 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Even with a SATA2 board you're going to see significant improvement in boot and load times from either a SATA2 or SATA3 SSD.  However, if you're looking for storage vs. speed then it would be wise to stick with a conventional HDD.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#11 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

OP take a look at this SSD ADATA Premier Pro SP900 ASP900S3-128GM-C 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) get more info about it here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211602

With a SATA 2 board you can still run sata 3 drives the only thing is they will run at sata 2 speeds and whenever you upgrade to a new board you can take advantage of sata 3 then.

SSD's have faster read,write and access speeds than HDD's and can be more reliable

#12 JacobHall

JacobHall

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

Can I suggest a hybrid? I have purchased one myself and I am VERY happy with the results. Computer boots to Windows within 15 seconds (as opposed to around 24 on a standard drive), system feels much quicker when navigating within explorer and the read/write speeds are incredible and surprising.

Nearly the speeds of a SDD for a reasonable price, I approve.  

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ELAVIQ0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00ELAVIQ0&linkCode=as2&tag=thegeeinfo-21

That's the one I purchased, and here's a US link: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-Solid-Hybrid-ST1000DX001/dp/B00EIQTOFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398544193&sr=8-1&keywords=Seagate+ST1000DX001+3.5+inch+1TB+Hybrid+Internal+Solid+State+Drive&tag=thegeeinfo-21

#13 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

it seems that ssd drives have a much better performance than any sata2/sata3 hard disks but i am not fully about their reliability

in long run

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

it seems that ssd drives have a much better performance than any sata2/sata3 hard disks but i am not fully about their reliability

in long run.

Re read post #2 look at the testing they are well past spinner reliability!  But like you say sata 3 is ideal if you don't have that you not have optimum performance but in any case still better than a spinner.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#15 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

good afternoon to all and thanks for all the details given

unfortunately here in cyprus the prices for an ssd drive is quite expensive !!!!

for an 120 gb ssd drive the price is 126 euros !

the price for a sata3 1 terra is about euros 67

if i order from ebay the shipping cost from usa are very expensive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users