Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

transfering cassette tapes.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobbies

bobbies

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

Is there a free software program that i can transfer some of my cassette tapes onto my laptop please. I have Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

I have not used Audacity to record cassettes but see this link. Audacity is freeware.

#3 Dalek Sec

Dalek Sec

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

Use audacity it will do the trick. There are a ton of how to's on the interweb.  :bananas:

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

Hi

Some thoughts on this. Be careful with the audio levels if You plan to use the Microphone jack. To use it You may need to buy a attenuator to prevent overloading it and distorting the audio.

I use Audacity to record audio from LPs. So it can handle it. It even handles speed shifting, IE playing a 78RPM on a 45RPM or 33RPM turntable and then correcting the audio to sound right.

BTW depending on how many Audio Cassettes You have to do it might pay to buy a USB Cassette Deck. Do Your conversions and then sell it to recapture the money. I use a USB turntable that also has Audio in jacks to convert non record audio to the USB.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

You are best off repurchasing these, if possible, in a digital format.  The main reasons to do this are: you can only copy the cassettes as fast as you can play them, i.e. one hour of tape takes one hour to copy and sound quality will be lower than digital.  You will run into other issues if you want to have each song be its own file you will either have to do this as you copy or edit the audio files after.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users