Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

I have an old XP machine with an Athlon XP processor and received the above notice when putting chrome://version in the address bar:

"This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates because its hardware is no longer supported"

After searching it has been confirmed that Chrome 35 and later will require SSE2 processors and newer.

So, just a heads up. If you have an AMD Athlon XP or any processor that does not support SSE2, no more security updates for Chrome after version 34.

https://codereview.chromium.org/193493005

Edit: As noted in the link, same goes for Mac 32bit.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 April 2014 - 08:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sdfox 7

sdfox 7

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

The solution for this topic, is that you need to use a version of Chrome older than version 34, because newer versions do not support regular SSE. In fact if you visit the Google Chrome page and try to download it today, it will completely fail to install.

So, if you can do one of two things: download Chrome 33 (or use a Windows XP computer with a SSE2 based processor), the message will not appear.

Google does not have an archive of old versions, and using a place like Filehippo will in fact direct you to the newest version.

The last full installer for Chrome that I have is Chrome 26 digitally signed by Google in February 2013. You can download it from my FTP.

After installing, make sure you also overwrite update the Flash player (pepflashplayer.dll) located in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\26.0.1410.5\PepperFlash.

The included pepperflash.dll is 11.6.602.167 which is obsolete. You can also download the regularly updated pepflashplayer.dll from my FTP. You should download this file to your desktop and then paste it into the folder I mentioned above, overwriting the old pepflashplayer.ddll file. When you first paste it you will still see the old version number but if you close the folder and start Chrome, you can visit Adobe's web site and verify that the updated version is in fact installed.

Flash Player is a main cause for many forms of viruses and malware, so even if your browser is a bit out of date at least your Flash will be current.

Edited by sdfox 7, 10 August 2014 - 12:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users