Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot enter setup or BIOS setup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 snailspacejase

snailspacejase

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:58 AM

Hi Guys

Board: MSI Z77A-G45
Bios: Version unknown
gpu: Radeon hd 7800 Club3d
PSU:   Corsair cx750
Intel Core i5-3570K Sandy Bridge 
ram: ballistix 2133 2x4gb 
HDD: Samsungv120gb SSD
COOLER: intel
ram: Ballistix sport ddr3-1600 2x4gb

I built this machine and it was running perfectly for 12 months. 
Mate comes round and tries to delete a program and has a bit of a dig around in there. I should have been paying attention but wasn't. Windows goes tits up so he goes for a restart. Seems to start ok but everything is in weird fonts/scrambled and when I go to put my password in the box it looks like it's the wrong one. 
Lets go into the setup/bios setup and try to recover the old settings. No dice because when you press del or f11 the machine just restarts after a momentary flash of the setup(?) screen.
Ok, unplug everything, pull out the ram, clear the cmos, pop it back together, try again. Same thing. 
Tried it with only one stick of ram and graphics card removed. Same.
Wont enter setup/ Bios setup 
Tried a usb stick formatted to fat32 with the bios (downloaded from msi site) in the root folder, in all the usb ports on startup. No joy

Any ideas most welcome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

Did you try it with 1 stick of ram and move that stick to each slot? Try this with both sticks. It could be a bad stick of ram or bad slot.

Disconnect all non essential hardware from the mainboard such as: dvd drives, hard drives, usb devices (including mouse and keyboard), disconnect front case usb header from the mainboard. Leave only the psu, motherboard, cpu/cpu cooler, 1 stick of ram, and use the onboard video (pull the video card out).

Generally this: "Seems to start ok but everything is in weird fonts/scrambled and when I go to put my password in the box it looks like it's the wrong one."

Is caused by faulty memory. It could be the cpu or the mainboard as well but for now test each slot with 1 stick of ram and try both sticks in all slots.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 snailspacejase

snailspacejase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

Excellent thank you, I will try that. Only one question, how do you press f11 or esc without a keyboard?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

For now don't worry about getting into the bios, just see if it will post and display an image correctly. With no hard drive you will likely get a prompt that says ~ no bootable device detected.

If the image on the screen appears nomrally, then connect a usb keyboard, restart and go into bios.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 snailspacejase

snailspacejase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Ok. 

So with any combination of ram/slots but no HD a message comes up saying:

EFI Shell version 2.31 [4.653]

Currrent running mode 1.1.2

map: Cannot find required map name.

Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue.

Shell> _

If I connect the HD and power up, windows starts but with unreadable fonts/graphics.

If I press F1 or ESC on start up (which MSI say will access setup/bios) the machine restarts but does not enter setup.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

If you can not get into setup, there must be some issue with hardware. You could try running memtest86, download and burn it to a disc then burn to the disc.

memetest: Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Edited by zingo156, 28 April 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#7 snailspacejase

snailspacejase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for your time on this Zingo.
I've tried starting the machine with the os disc in the drive but it does not see it. Do you think if I tried the memtest cd it would fare any better?
J

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

It might... It would be worth a try.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

FWIW:  http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1745193/boot-anymore.html

I'd replace the CMOS battery, if easily done.

Louis

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

When you reset the bios before, how did you do this? Did you use the clrcmos jumper, or did you pull out the cmos battery? If you reset by removing the cmos battery, the power plug must be unplugged for a while for it to "reset", I have found with large psu's this sometimes can be a few minutes.

#11 snailspacejase

snailspacejase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Yes the batt was out and the psu off for over a day. Anyway I sorted it by getting my mate to prep a usb repair stick using his windows 8 machine. Worked like a dream and allowed me to system restore. Next I'll take a look at the Bios with the software Msi provided.
Thanks again for your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users