Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"plugged in, charging" but not charging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 noae

noae

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:00 AM

Hi guys,

I have a 2.5 year-old Asus U30S laptop with a fairly new battery that I bought several months ago. A few days ago as I was charging it I noticed the charger was making some weird noises and I saw that the insulation around the wire was frayed. At that time the battery was still charging normally but as I assumed that it was unsafe to use the charger this way, I unplugged it and used a different charger when I got home. It charged more slowly but it worked.

Afterwards I used the computer on battery (it was fully charged when I began) and then when it was low I plugged in the second (replacement) charger. The little icon shows that it's plugged in and charging but the battery percentage doesn't go up (or down.) After about a day when the battery was definitely not charging I borrowed a charger from my brother who has an identical computer, and still nothing.

I tried a fix I found online that involved uninstalling "Microsoft ACPI compliant control method battery" from the device manager but it didn't work.

Right now I'm using the computer only on charger as the battery is very low (it seems to have gone down 4-5% in-between the times it was plugged in.)

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Noa

Edited by hamluis, 23 April 2014 - 11:08 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:15 AM

The little icon shows that it's plugged in and charging but the battery percentage doesn't go up (or down.) After about a day when the battery was definitely not charging I borrowed a charger from my brother who has an identical computer, and still nothing

Try your battery in your brothers pc see if it charges.

Most likley cause is the battery is no good.

Edited by NickAu1, 23 April 2014 - 04:16 AM.

#3 noae

noae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:20 AM

Will do, thanks. I'm still kinda hoping it's a software issues since the battery is pretty new. Also I can't imagine it's a coincidence that the old charger was acting up right before this happened.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:46 AM

Its a process of elimination, If after you try the battery in your brothers PC you find it works then move on.

BUT

DO NOT try your charger on your brothers PC and DO NOT try your brothers battery in your PC.

Also I can't imagine it's a coincidence that the old charger was acting up right before this happened.

A few days ago as I was charging it I noticed the charger was making some weird noises and I saw that the insulation around the wire was frayed

I agree, The noise you heard was the charger shorting out. I think. The battery may have been damaged by the shorting. Lucky it was only a battery and nothing else.

Edited by NickAu1, 23 April 2014 - 04:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users