Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building New Rig

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:09 AM

Diggi did raise a good point with an AMD build, they are cost-effective.  Unfortunately, their x86 performance, and the FX line in general, is a bit lower-end when compared to the upper end of the Haswell line.  If the programs you use for video editing are highly threaded and they prefer physical cores over Intel's HyperThreading, a high-end FX CPU could be a viable option.

I just looked at Diggi's Intel build, the case chosen is a full-ATX so it should hold almost any GPU, reviews on Newegg indicate it is able to fit a GTX 780, so an R9 270 would fit.  The NZXT is a little lower-end and the side window may make it more noisy, but the case should work if you want to save money.  There are some differences between that one and the build I created, mainly with the GPU and water cooling.  Up the GPU on Diggi's Intel build and you will have one very similar to mine in terms of performance.  The AMD build is the same as the Intel with the hardware selection, but with an FX CPU and an AMD 990FX motherboard.

A little backstory with the motherboard.  ASRock used to be the OEM budget line for the parent company of Asus, Pegatron.  ASRock boards were meant to compete with the high-volume OEM market, kind of like Foxconn.  Over the years, ASRock has grown popular for their budget conscious boards.  Some DIY builders report that ASRock does make thin motherboards and many prefer Asus for their higher quality.  MSI is a step up, but Asus and Gigabyte are viewed by many to be at the top of preferred motherboards.  If you are interested in those boards for your Intel build, I would suggest either the ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO or the GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H.

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

Ok, I'll keep all of that in mind.

Tempus Fugit

#18 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

This prebuilt looks pretty good. It's an AMD, free shipping, but it has a liquid cooling system which is something I didn't want to mess with.

http://www.overstock.com/#/8771533/product.html

Tempus Fugit

#19 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

Sorry for the delay.

The prebuilt system is okay, but the AMD processor is one of the new-ish factory overclocked processors that uses lots of power.  The i7-4770 will perform better and use much less power than the FX-9370.  The graphics card is the Radeon R9 270X and is a little more powerful than a standard R9 270, but is about 30% or so slower than a GeForce GTX 770.

3939.png

#20 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

A few $$ more but better value, with an Intel K chip which can be clocked higher.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229524

Edited by OldPhil, 01 May 2014 - 09:11 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#21 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

The sticking point with all pre-made builds I've seen so far seems to be the GPU not being as powerful as it can be for the price range.  That build is only about $50 less than the one I built but mine has a GTX 770.  There is a premium built into the cost of the Cyberpower PC for labor and profit margin, you are paying for more than just the cost of the components.

3939.png

#22 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

The sticking point with all pre-made builds I've seen so far seems to be the GPU not being as powerful as it can be for the price range.  That build is only about $50 less than the one I built but mine has a GTX 770.  There is a premium built into the cost of the Cyberpower PC for labor and profit margin, you are paying for more than just the cost of the components.

Ok.

Tempus Fugit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users