Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building New Rig

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Lilium

Lilium

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:18 AM

Good Morning,

In need of assistance with selecting parts for a new system and will compensate someone who can create me a list. I am currently in the process of compiling a list by way of CyberPower PC. Here is my configuration url: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1G1FN6

[The plain text]

Spoiler

This rig will be used mainly for gaming and some video editing. I also intend on streaming gameplay as well. I have a smart tv I use as a monitor already and have OS software. My ideal budget is $1,250 but I'll go as high as $1,500.

Tempus Fugit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Are you building this yourself using CyberPower as a model, or are you going to have them build it?

3939.png

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

Looks like a great rig, impressed with board and chip.  Just read a couple of reviews om the board, I have the Z77X up5 which was picked as board of the year in 2012 the X79 should easily hit that mark.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

Are you building this yourself using CyberPower as a model, or are you going to have them build it?

I will probably assemble it myself. That much I know how to do. Though as I'm looking now I don't see the charge for assembly or the option to just send the parts.

Looks like a great rig, impressed with board and chip.  Just read a couple of reviews om the board, I have the Z77X up5 which was picked as board of the year in 2012 the X79 should easily hit that mark.

That's great to hear.

Also, if either one of you two want to compile me a list that can bring my cost down I'll gladly send you a gratuity via Paypal. Let me know how much you would like. 

Edited by Lilium, 23 April 2014 - 06:11 PM.

Tempus Fugit

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

We are cheap dates up here!  If you wish to part with Jingle donate to the board.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

We are cheap dates up here!  If you wish to part with Jingle donate to the board.

Alright then.

Tempus Fugit

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

Well, here's an idea.  My hardware priorities are a bit different though.

Case:  LIAN LI PC-A75 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower - Lian Li makes very good cases, a bit understated in design, but well made.  Usually, aluminum cases are of higher quality than steel, cases with windows or side vents are also louder.  $164 

Motherboard:  MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 - A high-quality, but affordable motherboard that's great for Haswell processors.  $153

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 - This is a little less powerful than the CPU in the CyberPower build, but is still very good for gaming and video editing.  The processor you selected is a higher clock speed, but uses the slightly older Ivy Bridge architecture on the fairly expensive LGA 2011 platform.$309

RAM:  Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - Most people don't need 16GB of RAM, it just isn't necessary for most consumers except for rendering, scientific operations, CAD, VM's, or RAM Disk.  But since your build above has it, I included it.  $149 ($74 times two)

ODD:  ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS - I don't know why you have two drives in your build.  $79

PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 B 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified 750W - This is a quality power supply that can provide plenty of power for two GPU's if you want to do Crossfire or SLI.  $89

CPU HSF:  XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm - This is a quality heatsink that is a bit better for heat and noise than the stock Intel cooler.  I usually recommend against water cooling unless extreme overclocking is to be done.  $36

HDD:  WD BLACK SERIES WD1003FZEX 1TB - This is the same size as the drive above.  $84

GPU:  EVGA SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooling 02G-P4-2774-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB - This is significantly more powerful than the R9 270 but is more expensive.  For $100 less, you can get the EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB and it is still more powerful than an R9 270.  $369

SSD (Optional):  SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III - You don't really need this, but it will help boot up time.  You may need an adapter, like this, so you can add the hardware to the case.  $84

OS:  You said you don't need this, but make sure you have an unopened OEM/System Builder copy or have a Full, boxed retail copy that is either unopened or moved from another PC.

Grand Total:  $1,440 (Doesn't include optional equipment)

3939.png

#8 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Well while I thank you for putting in the effort that configuration is at the same price if not more than mine.

Tempus Fugit

#9 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

Ok, made a new list and managed to shave $114.05 off currently. 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: NZXT Phantom ATX Full Tower Case  ($119.99 @ TigerDirect) 

Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($63.77 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1373.95

Edited by Lilium, 24 April 2014 - 08:37 PM.

Tempus Fugit

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

My reasons for the above equipment were included, basically, I shifted resources towards the GPU.  I wasn't aiming for hardware parity with the CyberPower build.  With gaming, most of the games are GPU bound, so a more powerful graphics card than the R9 270 is a good idea if you want to run graphically intensive games at maximum settings.  I'm a bit confused by your choice of platform.  The LGA 2011 socket and platform is aimed at the very high-end enthusiast market who are willing to pay a premium.  The processors for the platform are about a generation back right now, the current Haswell architecture is due for the LGA 2011 patform in Q2 2014 with the i7 5960X and i7 5930K.  The LGA 2011 motherboards cater to the professional and enthusiast market, the vast majority of gamers have no real need for quad-channel memory or full 16X PCI-Express speed on two PCI-E slots if they aren't using top-of-the-line GPU's.  The upper end of the Haswell line of CPU's on the Z87 chipset will fill the needs of gamers very well.  You mention video editing, are you doing this regularly and/or being paid to do so?  Are you using CAD?  Are the majority of the programs you run heavily threaded?  Do you use virtualization?

To sum it all up, I suggest going down to a Z87 board to save money and upping the GPU regardless of which build you choose.  Your build also doesn't have a non-SSD drive, do you have a spare drive to use for storage?

Edited by DJBPace07, 25 April 2014 - 08:26 AM.

3939.png

#11 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

My reasons for the above equipment were included, basically, I shifted resources towards the GPU.

I was prioritizing too much on the CPU than the GPU I suppose.

Your build also doesn't have a non-SSD drive, do you have a spare drive to use for storage?

One 1TB Sata internal and one 2TB Sata external

You mention video editing, are you doing this regularly and/or being paid to do so?  Are you using CAD?  Are the majority of the programs you run heavily threaded?  Do you use virtualization?

I get paid occasionally for it. No CAD. Heavily threaded, no sure. The only virtualization I'm aware of and use are virtual drives so I'm going to say no. 

To sum it all up, I suggest going down to a Z87 board to save money and upping the GPU regardless of which build you choose.

Ok, will do. I'm going to use the configuration you've compiled. Thank you.

Tempus Fugit

#12 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

Does it have to be an intel setup?

This AMD setup is right under your budget @ $1226 with $65 MIR

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3yAqM

Edited by diggi, 25 April 2014 - 09:56 PM.

#13 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

Intel is my personal preference.

Edited by Lilium, 25 April 2014 - 10:10 PM.

Tempus Fugit

#14 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

Intel build $1257 after $85 MIR http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3yBND

#15 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:18 PM

Intel build $1257 after $85 MIR http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3yBND

I appreciate it though as I said I'm going to work with DJBPace07's list. The video card was flagged as too big for the case you chose by the way.

Tempus Fugit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users