Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An odd freeze up.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lehr

Lehr

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

Alright, I'll try to be as detailed as I can be.

I was enjoying a relaxing game of Warthunder (An air battle simulator) and listening to a friends walk through of Battlefield four with commentary. I had STEAM (Gaming distribution software + messanger) and Teamspeak three (VIOP program) open along with Microsoft word. I open a second tab after minimizing warthunder  in firefox and go to another messanger. Upon doing so, I click 'chat now' and my entire computer freezes up, the audio starts looping and it didn't seem to reach a bluescreen. Even after I waited a brief few seconds to manually reset the machine.

PC Specs: http://pastebin.com/YUzArCd8

Event error message: http://pastebin.com/KDHWXhUH

And my Anti Virus was on, firewall on and anti exploit was on. Nothing else.

This used to happen once a year, I believe this is the second time this has happened this year alone. (The first was in January.)

Two of my friends suspect that my GPU could be dying.

The second friend believes the audio drivers could've crashed and provoked this.

The rig is from two 2008 to 2009, mind you.

Also- If this helps, the GPU Idles at 50-60c. During games, depending on the game it can range from 82c to 100c.

It rebooted smoothy and without issue afterwards.

Edited by Lehr, 22 April 2014 - 11:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

Hi,

100c is about max for a GPU. Any way to add more cooling power?

Keep us posted

Edited by hamluis, 24 April 2014 - 11:25 AM.
Removed subscript - Hamluis.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Lehr

Lehr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

Yes, I have added a fan into the mix so it seems to keep it down fairly low.

Anyway, could I have further feedback? Should I assume it's my GPU, or should I investigate further?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

There are a couple things you can do to diagnose the fault.  The first would be to close any open tabs upon freeze up, the one that won't close would be the one at fault.  Another would be to bring up and run the task manager and see if that would help to find the frozen program. 

#5 Lehr

Lehr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

There are a couple things you can do to diagnose the fault.  The first would be to close any open tabs upon freeze up, the one that won't close would be the one at fault.  Another would be to bring up and run the task manager and see if that would help to find the frozen program. 

The issue was the entire PC froze before my friend and I manually rebooted the machine. I couldn't move my cursor or anything and the audio looped.

Which leads me to believe the entire GPU just shat out, unless someone has a better idea.

Edited by Lehr, 23 April 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

Hi,

I don't have a better idea but I'd want to monitor the GPU temp a bit before replacing the card - unless it's under warranty and they will swap it with you. If the freeze starts to happen at lower temps then you have a bad GPU which hasn't got long to survive

If you are going to continue the graphics intensive mode then I'd say you must get better cooling for the next GPU so you don't have the same problem all over again.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#7 Lehr

Lehr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

Will do.

But given what happened I think it may be related to the GPU or Ram, and aye I'll keep everyone posted. I do hope more people respond to help you and I figure this out.

#8 Lehr

Lehr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Would it be at all possible my PSU flaking out? I just took a can of air to it and blew a metric tons worth of dust out of it.

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

Hi,

If it was only a metric ton you should still be operational. They can cope with a bit of dust and dirt, it's the water that gets to them

If everything is clean, tight and well cooled monitor things and let us know how it all goes. I'm most interested in temps. Do you have something like Speccy loaded so you can see them in real time?

Dick E

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

Dust Bunny's are deadly!  How much actual case ventilation do you have, closed boxes suc for for heavy work or games.  I just got done moding an old case for my nephew cut out 75% of the side cover, wire meshed it made a big difference.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 Lehr

Lehr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

As much as I can get with the PC. The side is open (I clean it when I can) and my fan is as clean as one could get for a new desk fan.

I have yet to crash and I have passed thirteen hours online with it. (I work from home so yes, I do keep it on for most of the day/night. It rests when I do.)

Whatever happened yesterday has yet to resurface as an issue or be triggered by anything. I even repeated the conditions from yesterday (The card was at 90c) and it didnt crash. I was able to keep steam/teamspeak/my other chat program and youtube open.

I am unsure as to what I should do now, really.

And yes, Dickie. I have CPUID.

Edited by Lehr, 23 April 2014 - 08:31 PM.

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

Your PSU is happier, that could well be the answer.

#13 Lehr

Lehr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

I'll be sure to bump this thread if anything happens again.

Y'know, come to think of it that very same scenario unfolded when my old computers PSU died...

And I remember this also happening when I was playing STALKER and watching HULU back in 2010. Hrm. Regardless, danke for the help.

Edited by Lehr, 23 April 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

Think about setting up a cleaning schedule it avoids many maladies, I know my machine gets pretty dusty in about 3-4 months. 

#15 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:57 AM

I agree, a cleaning schedule and a close eye are all that seem appropriate at this point.

We'll be here when you need us, til then

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users