Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Depth

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:01 PM

Hi Anyone Knowledgeable on This,

Yes, I'd like to know how deep should "My Document" files go for it not to a problem with backing them up? I have some of My Document files going five deep (in My Documents) and when I try to back them up it spits up that the file structure is to deep, that it goes a maximum of 6? deep. 6 deep from My Computer? That would allow only 2 deep in My Documents. Is that correct? Could anyone explain clearly how deep and from where for best results in backing up documents, particularly My Documents? Thank you.

Sincerely,

John :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 20 May 2006 - 11:02 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:46 AM

Windows can handle folders/subfolders/subsubfolders, etc., which is what I presume you mean by depth. It may be you are attempting to back up way too much data by starting a very high level in the folder tree structure.
How are you backing up these files? What application are you using?
What is the structure (how deep) of your folders in My Documents?
I am unclear about what/how My Computer enters into this problem.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:31 AM

Hi John,

I am just backing up "My Documents" which go up to 5 or 6 deep from My Documents down, that would be My Documents/Sub folder/Sub folder/Sub folder/Sub folder/Sub folder/Sub folder, that is what I'm trying to backup. I've used Nero and Windows tools for backup. Most recently I've started to use Windows One Care. I think this error usually came up in Nero if not also in Windows. I haven't noticed it in Windows One Care yet.

I'm just concerned because I want to do a total reinstall and I want to make sure that I don't lose anything when I do that. And I'm not sure that I'll be able to use Windows One Care once I reinstall because I haven't subscribed to it yet sense they changed from beta to subscription. And I'm not sure that I'm going to subscribe.

I mean if I have to reorganize My Documents to do this then I'll reorganize them. But if I don't then I just might be happy doing it with the way My Documents are now. And sense I may end up having to rely on Nero or Windows I want to make sure that it will work.

So what ever the standard is for file depth I'll find a way to comply to if I need to. I just want to know if I need to and what the depth standard is, (6 deep from My Computer which means 2 deep in My Documents - for backup?)? If you know anything about this I'd appreciate your impute. Thanks.

John :thumbsup:

PS Oh, the total volume for backup is only about 200 MB.

Edited by Johnz414, 21 May 2006 - 11:35 AM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

I would stick with Nero, and not bother with Windows One Care---who knows where that gunk is going. I have never tried using Nero to save more than a folder/subfolder combination, and you are talking, I take it with a folder/subfolder/subsubfolder, etc. set up. If I can find time sometime tonight, I will try some experiments using Nero and different folder/file combinations. Are you dragging MY DOCS and its contents into Nero, or are you dragging each of the folders immediately below it?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:46 PM

The information on the following Microsoft page may help:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...t_03july14.mspx

#6 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:54 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. John I drag My Documents into Nero, not each sub folder separately. I never thought of doing it any other way. And Enthusiast thanks for the site I'll go look at that now.

John

PS I like your spell check here. I think you finally got it right on.
John

Albert Einstein.

#7 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

Forget Nero if you're trying to get a meaningfull backup of your C: drive.

Yes Nero does not want to see nested folders more than five deep. It's not just Nero, its the CD file structure limitations. Nero is just telling you about it.

Use Norton's Ghost to do your HD backup and never worry about nested folders.
It just reads data bits. Nesting never enters into it.

I use Ghost several times a week on my own PC and believe me when I tell you, IT WORKS GREAT!

Cheers,
The Shadow :thumbsup:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

I'm a bit weird, admittedly. Most people put everything in My Documents and its subfolders. I have an awful lot of stuff and years ago on Win 98, I started saving everything I wanted to keep to a separate partition. My method of backup is to put everything in different folders on my hard drive, using My Documents only for temporary things. For instance, such things as sig files, business cards, financial backups, business folders go into a "General files" CD; movies onto a Movies CD; pictures onto a Pictures set of CD's and so on. I don't use backup software per se, just Nero or the free CDBurnerXP to copy the data. I suppose I could eventually move things into a specific area for backing up, but I'm not quite that organized yet. Maybe another fifteen years . . .

But if I was going to backup everything in the My Documents folder, I would click on My Documents in the left pane of whatever I was using, and then highlight everything in the right pane (usually ctrl + a) and add that to the disk, which I would then name Docs_5_21_06.

No need to have the My Documents folder which just adds one more level.

I long ago learned to keep only what I was using on the computer, with pictures and so on stored offline to CD's when they began to accumulate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users