Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Crappy Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

Hello,

I own a very old Compaq Presario Vista PC, and it's really not being used right now. Right now, it has an AMD Athlon X2 4450e 2.3 GHz processor with 3 GB of RAM, and a 250 GB Hard Drive. I know a fair amount about the components of a PC, but I have never actually built one. I would like to upgrade to 8 GB of RAM and install Windows 7. I don't think that would be too hard. What I would like to know is if I would need a new Hard Drive, or if I can completely wipe the one I have. I also know that each Motherboard has a max amount of RAM, how do I find that? I definitely don't want to get too much RAM.

My other question is, would this be worth it? I am 14 and I have $120 to spend, but I can get more soon. So would it be worth it to upgrade this Vista, or should I just build a new one from scratch? Also, I am a gamer, and my Windows 8 PC has 3.2 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM, and 1 TB Hard Drive. Would I be able to settle for 4 GB of RAM on the Vista?

Any help appreciated.

Also, how much would it cost to get a *decent* gaming PC? And I definitely want to avoid Windows 8, if possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:10 AM

actually, you touched on a nice subject. spend a little to upgrade a PC for common uses and leave your mothership gaming PC clean and pristine.

the compaq PC looks like a sr-5710. with a stock 250 watt power supply and it takes ddr2 pc2-6400 ram, which means it can take a 64-bit OS. it is a dual core PC which is ok, not the best, but it is enough to build on. maybe the intel equivalent would be like a core 2 duo. you should be able to upgrade  the ram to 4gb. the video card could  be upgraded to a 60 watt 750 ti or 7750 maybe with that power supply?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883109029

vista 64bit  or win7 64 bit usually idles around 1 - 1.5 gb ram usage. most users recommend 8gb no matter what for a 64 bit system. a 32 bit OS isn't going to read over 4gb total input/output. that compaq has a mobo that is 4gb RAM max rated with 2 slots.

the biggest upgrade that users recommend is the solid state drive. you can load/clone your OS on it and also use it for the apps most accesssed for lightning fast response, while the regualr drive can be a storage unit. i think the 120gb solid state drives are around $80-120. the best thing about the ssds is they are an investment that has staying power. the down side is that your motherboard may not support it efficiently, so a little homework is in order.

for a decent gaming machine, the more powerful amd (FX or Phenom) cpu series can be obtained around $150-200. the intel i5 is around 200-250. the nvidia series 760 is a sweet range card for around $220. the amd r9-270x is around the same price range. most of the time, a satisfying gaming build can be put together for somewhere around $800.

cpu: 200 +/- 50

gpu: 220 +/-50

mobo and RAM: 150 +/-50

case and power supply: 120 +/- 50

ssd and hdd: 200 +/-20

new gaming build satisfaction: priceless

Edited by synergy513, 23 April 2014 - 12:20 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:26 AM

Why do you need to upgrade it or build a new one from scratch? What's wrong with your 3.2ghz computer?

#4 TensePicturesTV

TensePicturesTV

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

What you should do is save up your money until you have enough to make a gaming PC. You can easily make a decent one for around $400

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users