Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Windows 8 user-friendly?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Totaldummy

Totaldummy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

For 4 hours or more I have been trying to discover how to install Office for a friend in her computer using a legal copy of the cd for Office. I have inserted the cd correctly. Nothing whatsoever happens, no start, no error message even, absolutely nothing. I cannot find any icon for a cd-player or media-player on Windows 8, nor any list of programs. All I can access are a load of "apps" which i thought only applied to things you downloaded to a smartphone. Is that where the media-player is hidden on Windows 8? If it is not called cd-player or media-player what is it disguised as? There is no useful information on the internet on how to find the information necessary to experience Windows 8 as user-friendly. Am I wrong? Should I be expected to google all day to find the missing, necessary instructions? I would prefer to be able to find it a great system and I hope some kind person will tell a total dummy like me how and where to find the name Windows 8 has chosen for what gets the cd started so that I can appreciate the information there is on Windows 8. Thank you for helping.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Xabier

Xabier

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

Far as I'm concerned it's a disaster.  I've been trying for four hours to figure out how to navigate it and still get lost. I keep hearing it can be run in a Windows 7 legacy mode but so far haven't found instructions for doing that.

#3 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

Here some instructions:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/how-does-one-make-windows-8-look-act-and-run-just/c3dfcdc3-fcfa-4423-9078-12926c781320

#4 Guest_anon32028_*

Guest_anon32028_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

For 4 hours or more I have been trying to discover how to install Office for a friend in her computer using a legal copy of the cd for Office. I have inserted the cd correctly. Nothing whatsoever happens, no start, no error message even, absolutely nothing. I cannot find any icon for a cd-player or media-player on Windows 8, nor any list of programs. All I can access are a load of "apps" which i thought only applied to things you downloaded to a smartphone. Is that where the media-player is hidden on Windows 8? If it is not called cd-player or media-player what is it disguised as? There is no useful information on the internet on how to find the information necessary to experience Windows 8 as user-friendly. Am I wrong? Should I be expected to google all day to find the missing, necessary instructions? I would prefer to be able to find it a great system and I hope some kind person will tell a total dummy like me how and where to find the name Windows 8 has chosen for what gets the cd started so that I can appreciate the information there is on Windows 8. Thank you for helping.

My Research suggested you should:

1.  Open a command prompt as an Administrator.
2.  In the  command window:

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

3.Reboot
4. Verify if the problem has been resolved.

I haven't had a problem, so I can't tell you 100% for sure if the above will work or not.

Please let us know how it goes!

Edited by anon32028, 22 April 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

Win 8 Pro - if any help, (upgrading, no thanks.)

At Start screen with all the tiles, click Desktop tile, select File Explorer icon on taskbar, 
then in file view, select 'computer' - you should then see drive details on right
Right click on drive for menu to install or autoplay

Autoplay.jpg

You can check autoplay settings from Control Panel - Autoplay
(just type 'control panel' at the start screen to find it, unless you prefer to work through the Apps)
I love that feature, no search box, just type!

What version of Office? 2007, 2010 and 2013 are all compatible, apparently, although 2013 rocks.
It also helps if you have a 64 bit Office application on a 64 bit Windows 8 OS.

This is basic stuff, it's difficult to suggest fixes, if there are no error messages.

BTW, Do other CDs/DVDs load up automatically?  

Edited by petewills , 22 April 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#6 Totaldummy

Totaldummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:54 AM

Thank you so much. I need no further replies to this topic but would like to recommend on the internet your answer as the information needed to solve this problem for dummies like me. It is absolutely clear and very easy to follow even if you know nothing at all about computers or anything technological. I would also like to thank everyone else who has replied. Now thanks to your invaluable help I have managed to install Office and find the tile with it on the screen for my friend. She is 83 and I am almost 68. Between us we know very little about computers but I can use a computer so I am helping her. It seems you have to have internet to start using Office. I emailed an internet provider firm yesterday evening for her to subscribe to. They probably have not read it yet. She bought a computer because she has written a book which she wants to digitalize and publish. I shall help her. Anyway I am very happy to have been able to install Office for her and look forward to learning to use and gradually to enjoy using Windows 8. When my ancient desktop starts to function badly or I get problems with Windows XP I shall buy a new computer with Windows 8. Computers and the internet are fantastic inventions. 

Edited by Totaldummy, 23 April 2014 - 01:58 AM.

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

You need to activate Office by telephone or Internet and you can miss out on some features of Office, if you don't have an Internet connection, but it's not essential, for you to use the product fully. You didn't specify the version of Office, so here are a couple of links with relevant information for activation.

Activate Office 2010 programs

Activate Office 2013 programs

If your friend does go online, don't forget the necessity of antivirus protection, unless she is happy with the Windows Defender program in Windows 8.  

If you are going online with XP, you are at serious risk - see the huge Topic in the Windows XP Home and Professional Forum:

And Yes, Windows 8 is user-friendly, IMHO!

#8 Guest_anon32028_*

Guest_anon32028_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

It is possible to backup the office activation, so the next time you install it on the SAME COMPUTER (e.g. on a recovery), you can activate it without going on line:

1.  Make sure your copy of Office 2013 is activated.
2.  Boot your computer into Safe Mode.
3.  Backup
3.1.  "C:\Windows\System32\spp\store\data.dat"
3.2.  "C:"\Windows\System32\spp\store\tokens.d­at"
4.  When you install a fresh copy of Office 2013, then you can simply replace these files in safe mode.

#9 Totaldummy

Totaldummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

Thank you pete and anon. It is Office 2007 and legal. My own desktop is ancient. I have Avast and Malware Bytes and shall download them to my friend's computer too as soon as she has internet. If my computer is not too old för Ubuntu I shall consider changing to that system.

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

Just an FYI, no reply necessary, I am running Linux Mint 13 Maya, 32 bit (Mate desktop), based on Ubuntu 12.04, on a Dell desktop, which is almost 11 years old. I'll give up on it, when it gives up on me.
Regards.

Edited by petewills , 23 April 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#11 Totaldummy

Totaldummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

My desktop is Compaq Evo D51S. I have been unable to discover its age. Previously I had a Compaq Presario laptop. My desktop is older -perhaps 14 years- but much faster. After the Presario laptop took 20 minutes to start and to get to internet 9 hours I stopped using it. A friend told me she had bought a new desktop and said I could have her old one if I wanted. The only snag I have experienced with it is that there is very little RAM so I keep getting messages that the virtual memory is low and being increased. It causes no problems. Also I have learnt to save to an USB what I do not want to lose. When I retired I lost 20 years geneological searching because I did not know I could keep it on a USB. 2 years later when I mentioned that while visiting, one of the IT team told me they never removed what there was on the central computer so it was probably still there. He very kindly looked and got a colleague to make a cd of it all for me. I am so grateful. The only thing I lost was one photograph because it was still in my email and central organization has no support for that 2 years after the address is no longer valid. 

#12 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

Nice story.

Something like this

Floppy drive and memory expandable to 512 MB / 1 GB. My Dell came with 512 MB, but now has 2.5 GB, so it flies.

Edited by petewills , 23 April 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hi,

Unless you really like the tiles on the screen, you might find Windows 8 more user friendly if you made it look and act like previous versions, as in, regular desktop with icons insteads of the tiles.

You can do that by getting a free program called Classic Shell....

http://www.classicshell.net/

#14 Totaldummy

Totaldummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

Thanks. So what I took to be for dvd is for floppy disks. I have floppy discs I would like to use but when I now inserted them nothing happens. Where do I find the floppy disc I have inserted to get the contents on it shown in my desktop.

I do not mind tiles but need to learn more about how to use them.

#15 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Total

Are we at cross purposes. Not sure what you mean.
You should have a floppy drive and a CD/DVD drive on your XP Compaq Evo.
"Some of the models also shipped with a 3½ floppy drive, positioned below the CD or DVD drive."
The floppy disks, those ancient square 3.5 inch 'disks', which go into the floppy drive,
can be viewed by clicking on the A drive, in Windows Explorer, in XP.  

Tiles are for Windows 8. Stang777 offers an alternative.
I like the OS as it is, but I use Windows 7 Home Premium, more than anything else.

Edited by petewills , 23 April 2014 - 09:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users