Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes on Startup

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 imijj

imijj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hi, I'm having this problem where when I restart my computer it goes through all of the startup process, but when it finally gets to the desktop it immediately freezes. The little twisting circle icon (or whatever it is) on the cursor just kind of sits there frozen, and I can't do anything. Any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

Anything change?

#3 imijj

imijj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

You mean have I made any changes recently? No, same hardware and haven't installed any software in a while. My only guess is I have a virus of some kind. What's the best way to deal with that? Safe mode? Is there a specific program I should try?

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

By all means if you can safe mode try and do a virus scan or restore to an earlier date.

#5 imijj

imijj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, I tried that and it's still doing the same thing. Just wondering if anyone has any specific suggestions for freezing at the desktop on startup.

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

Try safe mode and run as administrator sfc /scannow

also reseat your memory

#7 DarkSinisterKid

DarkSinisterKid

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:23 AM

Hello.

This problem can turn out to be pretty severe, though I don't think any core windows files are missing,

since according to you, you can start up. My suggestion would be running Safe mode (F8 bomb at startup)

, then select SafeMode with Command Prompt. Once the operating system loads all

files, and the command prompt appears, type in 

sfc /scannow

. Once it's finished scanning, jot down the results, and type in 

shutdown -s -t 10

to shut your computer down. Please tell me the results of sfc /scannow.

Thanks,

§inisterKid

Edited by DarkSinisterKid, 23 April 2014 - 04:24 AM.

-[ Dark§inisterKid ]-

#8 liz1993

liz1993

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

I found this thread while Googling the same symptoms. 

Windows 7 Home Premium, I think the chip is an i7-2600 @ 3.0 Ghz (I'll try to confirm that if I can get computer to not crash seconds after startup) 8 G DDR3 RAM, 500G SSD, and 1 TB HD.  Asus P8P67LE mobo, Rev3.0.  I use Bitdefender Free. 

No new installations, however I noticed that a Windows update installed automatically last night April 22, 2014 around 5.  (which may sync well with imijj's prob)

Suspecting that the Windows Update was the source of the prob, I tried to do a System Restore.  I noticed that oddly I only had one restore point, and it was the one created by the windows update just prior to its installation.  When I tried to do the System Restore, it notified me on restart that the restore had failed because a file could not be accessed (I don't think it named the file), it suggested that I try to disable my AV, then try again.  I did that, but the System Restore still failed. 

I followed DSK's and Roodo's advice and booted in Safe Mode as Administrator with Command Prompt.  I ran the sfc /scannow and it returned "Verification 100% complete.  Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". 

This computer was my first machine with both an SSD and a regular HD, and it's also my first Windows 7 experience, so I pretty much alternate between blaming every single glitch I experience on one of these two factors. 

I just found my installation disk in an old box in my closet, Sweet.  I've never done a repair or fresh install on a machine with two harddrives.  I'll wait to hear back from someone in this forum before even attempting that.  I may need a bit of help if it comes to that point.

#9 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

Try updating the firmware on the ssd

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

Does Windows run properly in Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 liz1993

liz1993

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

I restarted in Safe Mode just now to see if I could answer Arach's question, while also looking for what firmware version my Corsair CSSD is running to consider Roodo's suggestion.  While monkeying around looking for the firmware version, the computer froze solid.  So that answers one question at least :)  that's progress, right?

#12 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Try here if possible

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/faqs/solid-state-drives

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

Try updating the firmware on the ssd

Crucial had a problem with their M4 series SSDs, but the problem was that the computer would freeze after an hour of operation.  I don't believe this is related to the SSD, especially since it could boot int Safe Mode. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

I restarted in Safe Mode just now to see if I could answer Arach's question, while also looking for what firmware version my Corsair CSSD is running to consider Roodo's suggestion.  While monkeying around looking for the firmware version, the computer froze solid.  So that answers one question at least :)  that's progress, right?

Since you can boot into Safe Mode see if you can run the following scan.  You will need to run Safe Mode with Networking so you can get online.

#15 liz1993

liz1993

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

Arach: It can boot in Safe Mode, but it freezes up again quickly. 

Roodo:  I can't even download the Corsair toolbox in SafeMode with Networking.  I can get to the website, navigate a bit, then it just freezes. 

After a while of being frozen in Normal or Safe mode, it goes to BSOD.  Next time I boot, it prompts me to insert installation disk to repair.

New thoughts on this?  Should I repair?  Will I lose what's on my SSD and HD in a repair scenario?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users