Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emsisoft AntiMalware Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

Hi guys,

well I recently discovered Emsisoft AntiMalware and apparently it is a favorite here at Bleeping Computers. Anyay what I would like to know is if this should be called an antivirus program that includes antimalware technology and so it would be safe to instead of an already existing antivirus.

Or is it actually more of an antimalware program that's actually recommended to supplement already exsisting antivirus software.

I also know that a lot antivirus programs are now actually all in one security suites (especially the premium versions) and sometimes people confuse the terminology. And this I am guessing that the right thing to call Emsisoft Antimalware is actually a security suiete just like ESET Smart security that includes both antivirus and antimalware funcionality.

If you could enlightin me a bit more about this program and what it can be used with I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

There are people here with much more technical knowledge of the product. I do use the product. I also use it in conjunction with ESET Smart Security. But I am also aware that EAM can be used as a standalone tool as well. EAM is unique in that it defies the never use two AV's rule. We have people who use it alone as they primary defense and we have people who use it supplemented with another AV.

It's up to you which way you choose to use it.

That's what I know about Emsisoft Anti-Malware (EAM).

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Yeah I remember hearing somewhere that there's a free version that can be used to supplement other security programs. And this is something that I might do until I learn more about the product.

I don't think by the way that they are using more than one AV, but much rather have combined two into one as what's been said by some people already.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection which uses two scanning engines and three security levels (or layers) of protection to prevent the installation of malware and stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. These layers consist of surf protection, a dual-engine file guard, and advanced behavioral analysis which is extremely difficult to penetrate. EAM continually monitors the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity and raises an alert as soon as something suspicious occurs. The behavior blocker is able to detect unknown zero-day attacks without signatures.

EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus utilizing live cloud-verification for superior detection and removal of malware infections effectively. Emsisoft Pro offers a full anti-malware solution which you can run alongside your favorite antivirus as extra protection without conflicts. Compatibility with other security products is constantly tested. Emsisoft Pro includes a malware removal guarantee and personal assistance in emergency situations.

With the release of v2017.5, Emsisoft now has a separate Anti-Ransomware module.

Emsisoft merged Emsisoft Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware and now relies on the built-in Windows Firewall and their Firewall Fortification feature which blocks illegitimate manipulations of Windows Firewall rules to ensure its settings can’t be manipulated by malware from the inside. The free version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware does not include real-time protection in its freeware mode...it is a on-demand cleaner only.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware has the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers).

eam_pup_728x574_en.png

Note: By default Emsisoft Anti-Malware installs as a free fully functional 30-day trial version with real-time protection. After the trial period expires you can either choose to buy a full version license or continue to use it in limited freeware mode which still allows you to scan and clean infections. The freeware mode no longer provides any real-time protection to guard against new infections. However, even if the trial is still enabled, you can easily turn off all real time protection and just have it running as on-demand scanner only. After the trial period expires nothing really changes except that the options to activate real-time protection are no longer available without purchasing the full version.

The Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) is a portable second opinion malware scanner which includes the Emsisoft Anti-Malware dual-scanner (anti-virus and anti-malware) complete with 32-bit and 64-bit executables, database signatures and graphical user interface that requires no installation or Internet connection to use. The Emsisoft Commandline Scanner contains the same functionality as the Emergency Kit Scanner but without a graphical user interface. EEK like EAM specializes in removing potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, browser hijackers and unwanted toolbars but it will also scan for and remove other types of malware. EEK can be run on a USB device or in a graphical Recovery Environment. EEK can be used in safe mode or from a recovery environment in order to remove particularly stubborn infections. After you have finished using EEK, it can be deleted or kept for later scans...however, since this is a portable program, EEK does not provide any real-time protection.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit Pro is especially made for helpdesk and computer repair which can be used to scan and clean third-party PCs...it includes the full version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users