Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My monitors went black

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 catbad

catbad

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

On my work computer, running windows 7. Dell. I use dual monitors. All of a sudden one screen went black. The second screen remained on but I couldn't restart the computer b/c the start button was on the other screen so I just held the power button down to shut it down. Now when I power it up, the windows 7 screen starts but then both screens go black? When I boot in safe mode by clicking F8 then both monitors work. What is the solution to get it back to normal. It's only a few months old.

Thanks in advance for help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Laz423

Laz423

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

Sounds like display properties got corrupted.  Try and reinstall drivers for your video card.

It works in safe mode because it uses the basic VGA drivers.

#3 catbad

catbad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but how would I do that. I guess in safe mode, but where would I get the video card drivers?

#4 Laz423

Laz423

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

in safe mode both monitors work? yes?  go to display properties and set the second (the one that is working in normal mode) as default, reboot.

That way you get what you are used to in regular mode.  then repost.

#5 catbad

catbad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

Both work in safe but neither work in regular mode

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

In safe mode...try to uninstall your video/graphics drivers (via Device Manager)...then reboot.  If they don't install automatically, then you can install them from either your Drivers CD/DVD or the website of the OEM (Dell, HP, etc.) or the board manufacturer is not an OEM system.

Louis

#7 catbad

catbad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Ok. I went into safemode, device manager and uninstalled m ATI Radeon HD5450 Video card and drivers. I then rebooted from safemode and let it go into regular startup. One of the monitors then came on. I then went to AMD site and downloaded the driver and ran it. Once installed it did the same thing. Both screens went black? Any ideas?

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

Id try a new card

#9 MikeChoo

MikeChoo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

Bad power supply? Or bad dock? Have any good equipment to swap out?

#10 Laz423

Laz423

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

It really comes to this, hardware configuration.  Are you using an integrated video card with dual outputs, VGA and DVI?  Or is it an external or PCI card?  Better for us to help you is if you save device manager to a text file and post.  Or a couple of screenshots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users