Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Always on -define, please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 samich

samich

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Hi -

When I turn on my PC, am I connected to WEB or am I connected only when I open the Browser?

Someone said the former, which doesn't make sense, to me.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hi -

When I turn on my PC, am I connected to WEB or am I connected only when I open the Browser?
Someone said the former, which doesn't make sense, to me.

Thank you.

If you have a modern broadband Internet connection that is considered "always on", then that is exactly what it means…always on…whether your computer is on or not. Of course, if you do not have any Internet device (computer, tablet, smartphone, etc) that is actively using the Internet connection, then the Internet connection will not be actively used even though it is "on".

For example, my cable Internet connection is always on as long as my cable modem is powered up. It does not matter if I have all my computers turned off or on.

The only way to shutdown an "always on" Internet connection is to unplug the cable/fiber/DSL modem.

#3 samich

samich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

Thank you, SMAX 013 for your reply but am still confused:

"you have a modern broadband Internet connection that is considered "always on", then that is exactly what it means…always on…whether your computer is on or not. Of course, if you do not have any Internet device (computer, tablet, smartphone, etc) that is actively using the Internet connection, then the Internet connection will not be actively used even though it is "on"."

So this means that if I haven't opened my browser no virus can affect my PC? I am not 'exposed' to Web?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

Think of it like power to your house. The power is always "on", but until you plug something into the power socket or flip on a light switch, that power is not being used (this is a simplification since there is like SOMETHING in your house that is ALWAYS using power, but let's ignore that).

The same thing is true with "always on" Internet. The Internet connection is "always on", but unless something is actively using it, then it is not really being "used".

Now, most likely your computer is using the Internet connection for other things such a checking for Windows updates (assuming you are using a Windows computer), application updates, virus update (you are using some sort of anti-virus correct?), etc. Do you use a local email client like Microsoft Outlook or Windows Live Mail? If so and you leave that email client running, then it will be using the Internet connection to check for email. Obviously, when you are using a browser, you are using the Internet connection, but there are many other ways.

As to being "exposed" to the web, that will depend.

What kind of Internet do you have? DSL? Cable? Fiber? Satellite?

Does you computer connect directly to the modem from your Internet provider? Or do you use a router between the computer and the modem? If it connects directly to the modem, how many ethernet ports does the modem have on it (if it has more than one, then it might have a router built-in) or can you provide model number for the modem?

Do you use a software firewall of some sort? What security software/anti-virus software do you use (it might have a firewall built-in)?

#5 samich

samich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Ah..Thank you! Got it thanks to your analogy to power/electricity and plugging into it.

I use webmail 

I am good about running anti-virus programs

I connect to Web via cable

I have a modem/router

So, until I click on Firefox ('actively using it'), then the connection is not really being "used/"

Thank you so much. Really appreciate your explanations.

Samich.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

Ah..Thank you! Got it thanks to your analogy to power/electricity and plugging into it.

I use webmail 
I am good about running anti-virus programs
I connect to Web via cable
I have a modem/router

So, until I click on Firefox ('actively using it'), then the connection is not really being "used/"

Thank you so much. Really appreciate your explanations.

Samich.

More or less.

As I said, Windows likely is using the Internet connection to check for Windows updates and actually downloading/installing those updates if you have Windows Update set to automatically update Windows. Also, your anti-virus software should be using the Internet connection on occasion to update the virus definitions/programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users