Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Laptop unable to detect bootable USB to load new Win7 OS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 m3tAnOiA

m3tAnOiA

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

Hi Everyone

I need your help in how to figure out what is wrong with my laptop.
I am using a Samsung laptop which used to have win8 64bit and win7 32bit as I need the latter for work purposes
One day my laptop died on me and I took it to a repair shop where they diagnosed that HDD is bad, hence, they replaced it with a 500GB HDD and preloaded it with a Win7 64bit

As my office apps only work on a 32bit OS, I figured I can do a partition and load it myself since I was able to do it before
However, for whatever reason I have tried to set the boot priority to all USB type boot device with no luck
I was able to use my bootable USBs previously (I have 2, one for win7 and one with win8) but now it is not detected at all

As per attached images, only the SATA HDD and SATA CD appears whenever I press F10, hence, USB seems to be non-existent
I tried all my USB ports and even erased and made a new bootable USB with fresh win7 copy but still the same
I tried to search through on steps I need to do but everytime it just gets more confusing

So I hope I could hear from the professionals that can help me solve the problem and help me thoroughly as I am sadly a not too techie person and I admit I only rely on forums and google search whenever I have tech issues with my stuff.

:killcomp: Please help me out as I badly need to fix this ASAP. Thank you in advance

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   31.13KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   32.88KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   38.89KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   30.34KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Have you tried deleting all teh usb ports then rebooting, windows will reload working ones unless there is another issue.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Click on the Start orb, then type devmgmt.msc in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.

This will open the Device Manager.  Look for any yellow warnings or red error icons.

Another thing to try is to plug the flash drive in a USB port, open the Device Manager and right click on the first icon, choose Scan for hardware changes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 m3tAnOiA

m3tAnOiA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

Click on the Start orb, then type devmgmt.msc in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.

This will open the Device Manager.  Look for any yellow warnings or red error icons.

Another thing to try is to plug the flash drive in a USB port, open the Device Manager and right click on the first icon, choose Scan for hardware changes.

Hi dc3

Thanks for the input. I tried your suggestions and did not see any red or yellow warnings in my Device Manager and nothing happens after scanning for hardaware changes with the USB plugged in. Any other ideas?

#5 m3tAnOiA

m3tAnOiA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

Have you tried deleting all teh usb ports then rebooting, windows will reload working ones unless there is another issue.

Hi OldPhil

I know this is a stupid question but are your referring to deletion through the Boot Menu? Thanks

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

No delete the usb entry in device manager then reboot, windows will reload the usb entry to original. 

He is the Microsoft explanation: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/usb-device-not-recognized-in-windows-7/8106a712-a13e-4ca5-b82e-c3961cc254b1

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

No delete the usb entry in device manager then reboot, windows will reload the usb entry to original. 

He is the Microsoft explanation: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/usb-device-not-recognized-in-windows-7/8106a712-a13e-4ca5-b82e-c3961cc254b1

OldPhil, I don't know what you find listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers, but I have twenty listings. :whistle:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

I suspect what OldPhil was suggesting was to click on the clear diamond to the left of Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand the tree.

Then scroll down and double click on each of the Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controllers one at a time and click on the Driver tab, then uninstall the driver.

Do this with all of these, then restart the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users