Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

favorites, address book entries and user profile settings gone

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ronfebba

ronfebba

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

Hello, I recently had an issue with all of my user profile settings including favorites, address book entries and settings for various programs such as registration info etc. This happened as I was reading my EMail. Suddenly, all of my firefox and IE settings were gone, and my user folder named, Ronald becamed corrupted. Don't know if anything malware crept in, or if a rogue attacked my computer, for my security software became unregestered as a result of this sudden glitch. Any help would be appreciate as to how I can get my old settings back if possible.

Regards,

Ronald

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Reboot the computer.  Access your account.  Is it normal, if so great.  If not look in C:\Users and see if there is a folder with your user name or possibly Owner and see if your Favorites are in the Favorites folder.  If there is a user folder and your favorites are in there then you are getting a temporary profile and you will need to rebuild your profile.

#3 ronfebba

ronfebba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

Thanks so much for the reply, Kilroy. The problem with building my profile is that the old user folder has become corrupt and unreadable. I tried downloading the Grant Perms software and tried unlocking the folder, but it said the file could not be found. The name that I renamed the old user folder was, RONALD.old. I am not able to do anything with folder, not even deleting is possible. I tried a couple of unlocker programs, and no dice. Any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

regards, Ronald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users