Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slap me the next time I say I'm going to repartition my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Capt. Swayworn

Capt. Swayworn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

I decided to repartition my ASUS UL30A-X5 laptop's 500GB HD so I could put Linux on, keeping Windows only for a few specific tasks. 

Using GParted, I shrunk the Windows 7 main NTFS partition down to about 70GB. (There was a second NTFS partition that I left untouched.) 

I noticed there was a recovery partition that was about 16GB. I figured since I'd be doing little with Win 7 I figured I could use that space for something else. So I deleted it, then moved my smallish Win7 partition to the head of the disk to make the unpartitioned space contiguous. 

Original:
[Recovery][Win7-----------------------][Data-----------------------]
To:
__________[Win7-----------]____________[Data-----------------------]
To, finally:
[Win7-----------]______________________[Data-----------------------]

To make sure everything was still on the up and up, I rebooted.

Sadly, not everything was on the up and up. I was presented with a page that told me "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible"

I tried a few tools on Hiren's Boot CD but to no avail. 

So I made a Win 7 Recovery USB and let it work its automagic. Upon reboot, Windows said it wanted to Repair itself... but when I selected that choice from the menu, I was back to the old "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible".

So I rebooted again, and this time selected "Start Windows Normally". To my surprise, I got the standard "Starting Windows..." animation!

But then it spat out "autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK" and rebooted. Subsequent attempts gave the same result.

And that's where I'm at. I tried using Win 7 Recovery again, but now it says that it doesn't know how to repair it.

I feel like I must be close -- I can see the Win 7 loading animation! -- but I don't know where to go from here.

Is there a fix, or is this a write-off?

If it's a write-off, in what order I should install Linux and Windows?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raincity

raincity

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

As someone who has also recently borked a partition (though in a different way) let me welcome you to the club :/ 

Not sure how to fully restore one but here's some info about system partitions and boot partitions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-are-system-boot-partitions#1TC=windows-7

#3 Capt. Swayworn

Capt. Swayworn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

Ah... it looks like the recovery partition was probably ALSO the system partition. I did not know Windows worked that way.

So... this doesn't look good.

#4 Capt. Swayworn

Capt. Swayworn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Oh, wait... this looks promising. Does anybody think I shouldn't try this?

I.e. to partition from this:

[Win7-----------]_______________________[Data-----------------------]
to this:
{NTFS][Win7-----------]_________________[Data-----------------------]
In the hopes that Windows Repair will be able to do this:
[Sys ][Win7-----------]_________________[Data-----------------------]
?

Edited by Capt. Swayworn, 22 April 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

The only time I ever do anything with partitions is when the drive is empty.    Should you have to reload partition the drive and install Windows first.  Standard load order for a multi-boot system is Windows from oldest to newest (XP, Vista, 7, 8) and then alternative OSes (There are no other OSes in Microsoft's world)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

I am not 100% positive but the recovery partition you deleted may have been marked active. Use the recovery USB you have to check if the partition on the computer is active. For your computer, you should only one disk , disk 0. You many also see the USB flash drive listed. Select Disk 0 and then use the list partition command. You should only see one partition with a number. Use the select partition command using the number show in the detail (Edit: list) partition command. Then use the detail partition command. Is the partition marked active?

http://www.spradlike.com/blog/2012/02/17/checking-active-partition-windows-7/

Edit: after reading your first post again. I can almost guarantee it will be marked active.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 April 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#7 Capt. Swayworn

Capt. Swayworn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

It worked!

Yep, JohnC_21, the recovery partition that I deleted WAS marked active. And Windows couldn't boot without an active system partition. I made a 100MB NTFS partition, marked it active, and let Windows Repair do the rest!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S FIXED.

raincity:

mad_4f9d88_2043489.jpg

Edited by Capt. Swayworn, 22 April 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:08 AM

Hey there Capt. Swayworn, congrats on getting this fixed and kudos to everyone that reached out to assist.

Not sure what flavor of Linux you were going to dual-boot your Win 7 machine with but I just did mine with Fedora (due to where my work place is going) and I followed these directions first and then these ones.

I thought about wiping my machine clean before I started - I've been running Windows 7 for well over a year now and I've got quite a bit of junk on my machine - but following those instructions, I didn't run into any problems and have been running and fussing with Fedora for several days now.

I had quite a bit of space on my HD so I set aside 200 GB for my Fedora install and it seems like it should be enough.

Here's the post I made when I started the process.

Hope it helps and best of luck on your dual boot, it's been pretty handy for me to have easy access to both.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users