Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Quite Sure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vaio840

Vaio840

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:36 PM

I recently had a post removed for discussing a "commercial" product that I had found that was of tremendous benefit to me concerning web page development. I was told that what I had posted was spam. Now, this surprised the heck out of me as there are discussions here about anti-virus products every hour of every day. Let's see: Trend, Norton, Panda........Are these not commercial. profit seeking companies?

Seems I broke a rule. Interesting. I apologise for my error. I certainly did not need to be accused of spamming in the title of the message sent to me. I have no affiliation with any internet based company what so ever. I had merely found a product that shed a whole lot of daylight on the struggle I was having understanding the ins and outs of coding web pages and thought it might really benefit others here. The fact that I posted this here was because I have so admired the volunteers that give so much to people with computer problems.

At any rate, this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I will say that the PM I got was rude and uncalled for and I would hate to see THIS post removed because I am making mention of a policy that seems, to me, a bit hazey and I do not enjoy being jumped for trying to express my joy with a product that actually works as intended.
33 1/3 RPM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:59 PM

Greetings Vaio840,

Sometimes posts are removed when they appear to be out of context with the rest of the thread... sometimes they are removed when things just smell fishy. We often get people that sign up, participate in a few discussions, and then begin spamming products under the guise of "I just found this great product that solved my problem"... blah, blah, blah.

The discussions that revolve around the various AV's, Scanners, etc. are due to the fact that this board revolves around malware removal. We don't have a problem with those products because they are well known within our circle, and we offer plenty of free alternatives. Any other product endorsements are regularly removed unless the member has expertise in the field or with the product.

PMs are admittedly tricky to deal with. There is no subconcious communication that would be available in a face to face conversation, thus it is difficult to decipher the intended "severeness" of the message. There is always the opportunity to PM the member that contacted you in order to facilitate some sort of an understanding; that same offer was commicated to you. I think you will find that the staff is quite accomodating and reasonable if properly approached.

I'm not exactly sure what you intend to accomplish by approaching the issue in this manner. I will say that I do not find it at all reasonable to attempt to resolve a private issue with a member of the staff by trying to involve the rest of the membership.

#3 Vaio840

Vaio840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:26 PM

You need to talk to the moderator that PM'd me. As far as posting this here I doubt that I set a precedent. I was shocked by the manner in which I was approached. Calling me a spammer, in the context of the internet, was hostile, not appropriate and offensive. I am a 57 year old photographer, and I not-evidently, made a mistake. And, a commercial product is a commercial product. If I recommended a Nikon product or a Mamiya product or a Canon product would your moderators treat me so offensively? I think not, but, I certainly could be wrong about that after the inept handling of a minor infraction by this particular person.
33 1/3 RPM

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:20 AM

If this were a photography forum, and you recommended a product that dealt with that subject matter, then that would be in proper (Although I would probably ask you on what you base your opinion). Had you had 300 posts here, then we probably wouldn't have given it a second thought. In our circle, untested products can mean trouble for our users, and thus we are very careful about products endorsed. Yours wouldn't be the first recommendation that led to an infected product (thus making us unwitting accomplices in infecting the very people we are trying to help). Commercial is commercial only in the sense that money is exchanged for a product; the similarity ends there. The context makes all of the difference, and it is what makes sites like this one unique.

If you feel that the manner in which you were treated was harsh and unfair, then allow me to extend an apology. It is never our intent to make members feel that they are being treated in anything less than a respectful manner. I am confident though, that the staff member did not at intend to convey that meaning.

As far as removing your post in the first place, that was within board guidelines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users