Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window XP SP2, utorrent and Skype problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chan shah

chan shah

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:17 AM

Dear All

i m using Window XP SP2 on Dell Latitude D620,

(1) i m trying to install Skype, but face fatal error "failed to get proc address for Getlogicalprocessorinformation (KERNELL32.dll)

(2) i m trying to install utorrent, download ok, but when i start to install it on my laptop it could not be start installation. 

please help me 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkSinisterKid

DarkSinisterKid

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

Hi Chan,

Hmm... your Skype Installer problem's a bit strange... the error pretty much means Skype failed to get specs about your laptop... Did you try running it as an admin ( Right - click installer and click Run as Administrator )? 

Does the Utorrent installer show any error box, or does it not pop up at all?

Also please tell me your PC specs.

Thanks...

DarkSinisterKid

-[ Dark§inisterKid ]-

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:07 AM

For security anyway, no XP system should be running less than SP3, fully updated.

However that may also be a cause for your problem, eg:

What are the system requirements for Skype?

Windows XP Service Pack 3

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10328/what-are-the-system-requirements-for-skype

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 chan shah

chan shah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

Did you try running it as an admin ( Right - click installer and click Run as Administrator )? I TRY THAT BUT AGAIN SAME ERROR 

Does the Utorrent installer show any error box, or does it not pop up at all? DOES NOT POP UP, NO ERROR SHOWN

Also please tell me your PC specs. Dell Laltitude D620

pls note that before that Skype was working, on laptop

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

(2) i m trying to install utorrent,

Yes...using any torrent, file sharing, peer-to-peer (P2P) program (i.e. Limewire, eMule, Kontiki, BitTorrent, BitComet, uTorrent, BitLord, BearShare, Azureus/Vuze, Skype, etc) or visiting such sites is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. In some cases the computer could be turned into a malware honeypot or zombie.

File sharing networks are thoroughly infested with malware according to security firm Norman ASA and many of them are unsafe to visit or use. The reason for this is that file sharing relies on its members giving and gaining unfettered access to computers across the P2P network. This practice can make you vulnerable to data and identity theft, system infection and remote access exploit by attackers who can take control of your computer without your knowledge.

...It is almost never safe to download executable programs from peer-to-peer file sharing networks because they are a major source of malware infections.

Software Cracks: A Great Way to Infect Your PC

Even if you change the risky default settings to a safer configuration, downloading files from an anonymous source increases your exposure to infection because the files you are downloading may actually contain a disguised threat. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install malware. Many malicious worms and Trojans, such as the Storm Worm, target and spread across P2P files sharing networks because of their known vulnerabilities.

Further some file sharing programs are bundled with other free software you may download (sometimes without the knowledge or consent of the user) and can be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware, and browser hijackers as well as malware.

Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer. The best way to eliminate these risks is to avoid using P2P applications and torrent web sites.

Using P2P programs, file sharing or browsing torrent sites is almost a guaranteed way to get yourself infected!!

Thanks to quietman7 for this info. :bananas:

Edited by NickAu1, 22 April 2014 - 07:06 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

i m using Window XP SP2 on Dell Latitude D620

SP3 is required for Skype & many other software offerings for XP.

i m trying to install utorrent, download ok, but when i start to install it on my laptop it could not be start installation.

There may be some issue causing this, including infection. Or security software, if present, is blocking the install. If the latter is the case, that should tell you something's up.

NickAu1 has already covered the bases well as to the dangers of using torrent software, I can only add that I agree fully with the contents of his post. Using torrent software is a one way ticket to lots of issues, including identity theft & all sorts of infections, as well as the spreading of these to other's computers.

My only advise is to stay away from this type of software, it's dangerous & I refuse to assist in the configuration of torrent clients.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 DarkSinisterKid

DarkSinisterKid

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:12 AM

Hello again,

This fix is very likely to fix your Skype problem.

GetLogicalProcessorInformation is a function introduced in a newer Windows XP. All you need to do, is update:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

Even though, I strongly recommend upgrading do Win 7.

The most recent uTorrent Windows installer (utorrent.exe) cannot be run immediately after the download. You would want to right-click the installer, hit Properties, and click the Unblock button.

Any issues? Don't hesitate to ask me. (~I'm following this thread~)

§inisterKid

-[ Dark§inisterKid ]-

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

Even though, I strongly recommend upgrading do Win 7.

Great idea, in addition to having a supported OS, Windows 7 has far superior memory management, unlike XP, which finds a way to use all (up to 3.25GB) that one adds.

The Dell Latitude D620 should be able to run Windows 7, as I recall, some were shipped with Vista. These drivers can be used to install Windows 7, some may require to be installed in Compatibility Mode. Some of this model are also sold on eBay & occasionally Newegg as refurbished with Windows 7 preinstalled.

Windows 7 should be a good performer on that Intel Core Duo, though depending on the graphics installed, it may be best to turn off the Aero features. It was a premium notebook in it's day, a solid business performer.

Also Linux Mint will install on it & there is Skype for Linux, plus the torrent software that you want in Transmission & it's a 100% Free choice. No drivers to configure, install it, update & go. It should run the latest versions with no issue, speaking of which Linux Mint 17 LTS (RC) 5 year support will soon ship, unlike Windows, the RC will update to the final release.

Regardless of what other software you run, it's best to get off of XP.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users