Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New external hard drive making strange sound- sometimes. (Sound sample included)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

http://www.sendspace.com/file/37zeq1

In short, I bought a new external hard drive (A Seagate STDT4000100, part number 1KBAA3-570.  A 4 TB external.) and used AceBackup 3 to put a lot of data on it.

Things went fine for a few days, until I woke up after a nap and found the hard drive was making that sound (my computer was off at the time).  I unplugged it and after a while I plugged it back in and the sound went away.

Later, the sound came back and I tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in immediately- the sound came back.

Unplugging it and then plugging it back in after a while made the sound go away.

Seatools tests seem to be okay so far (I am currently doing the long generic test, but the HD passed the other 2 tests).

Any ideas?  Should I be worried?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

IMO there is power getting to it somehow, when you say your computer is off is that fully shut down?

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

IMO there is power getting to it somehow, when you say your computer is off is that fully shut down?

Yeah, fully shut down- but the External drive has its own AC adapter.  I dunno if I should just leave it unplugged or what.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Pull the power adapter plug out instead of the USB, I bet the result is the same.

#5 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Pull the power adapter plug out instead of the USB, I bet the result is the same.

Err that's what I was doing; pulling out the power adapter plug.

I am just a little antsy because this HD is a replacement for a previous Seagate one that died after displaying strange behavior :P.

-- edit --

The short and long generic scans turned up no problems.

Edited by Forbiddenone, 23 April 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

I think it has a faulty switching circuit, I would pull the data and get an RMA.  All this time I thought you were pulling the USB plug not the power.   I am against units without switches and cooling fans, ever put you hand on an HD after opening a box that has been running for a few hours.  I can only imagine the temp build up in a enclosure without a fan.

#7 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

I think it has a faulty switching circuit, I would pull the data and get an RMA.  All this time I thought you were pulling the USB plug not the power.   I am against units without switches and cooling fans, ever put you hand on an HD after opening a box that has been running for a few hours.  I can only imagine the temp build up in a enclosure without a fan.

Support says just unplug it and don't worry about it.  (They think it is caused by a trickle of power from my laptop, but I tried unplugging it from my laptop and only plugging it in to the wall and it still makes the noise).

Do you think if I flake out that this will come back to bite me at some point :P?  What if I always unplug it to shut it off (after completing the shutdown process on the attached laptop)?

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

Goole it for  its specs see if it states it has circuit to kill the power, if so I would push the issue with them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users