Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New external hard drive making strange sound- sometimes. (Sound sample included)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

http://www.sendspace.com/file/37zeq1

In short, I bought a new external hard drive (A Seagate STDT4000100, part number 1KBAA3-570.  A 4 TB external.) and used AceBackup 3 to put a lot of data on it.

Things went fine for a few days, until I woke up after a nap and found the hard drive was making that sound (my computer was off at the time).  I unplugged it and after a while I plugged it back in and the sound went away.

Later, the sound came back and I tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in immediately- the sound came back.

Unplugging it and then plugging it back in after a while made the sound go away.

Seatools tests seem to be okay so far (I am currently doing the long generic test, but the HD passed the other 2 tests).

Any ideas?  Should I be worried?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

IMO there is power getting to it somehow, when you say your computer is off is that fully shut down?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

IMO there is power getting to it somehow, when you say your computer is off is that fully shut down?

Yeah, fully shut down- but the External drive has its own AC adapter.  I dunno if I should just leave it unplugged or what.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Pull the power adapter plug out instead of the USB, I bet the result is the same.

#5 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Pull the power adapter plug out instead of the USB, I bet the result is the same.

Err that's what I was doing; pulling out the power adapter plug.

I am just a little antsy because this HD is a replacement for a previous Seagate one that died after displaying strange behavior :P.

-- edit --

The short and long generic scans turned up no problems.

Edited by Forbiddenone, 23 April 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

I think it has a faulty switching circuit, I would pull the data and get an RMA.  All this time I thought you were pulling the USB plug not the power.   I am against units without switches and cooling fans, ever put you hand on an HD after opening a box that has been running for a few hours.  I can only imagine the temp build up in a enclosure without a fan.

#7 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

I think it has a faulty switching circuit, I would pull the data and get an RMA.  All this time I thought you were pulling the USB plug not the power.   I am against units without switches and cooling fans, ever put you hand on an HD after opening a box that has been running for a few hours.  I can only imagine the temp build up in a enclosure without a fan.

Support says just unplug it and don't worry about it.  (They think it is caused by a trickle of power from my laptop, but I tried unplugging it from my laptop and only plugging it in to the wall and it still makes the noise).

Do you think if I flake out that this will come back to bite me at some point :P?  What if I always unplug it to shut it off (after completing the shutdown process on the attached laptop)?

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

Goole it for  its specs see if it states it has circuit to kill the power, if so I would push the issue with them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users